Clunk

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
I went on a trip from Ft Lauderdale to Clearwater over the weekend and on the highway I noticed a "clunk". With my rear window down I could hear that when I had to slow down for traffic when I speed back up I could here a "clunk" either from the rear differential or from the u-joints (i am guessing). It seamed to happen when the engine speed matched back up with the the speed of the wheels turning and everything meshes back together after the slow down. Does this make any sense. Is this normal for a 2005 4x2? I don't like "clunks" in my 2005 vehicle!!!

Sounds like the u-joints. A lot of times the sound is heard when you are coasting and then hit the gas. Even after the dealer put a new shaft with new u-joints in my ST it still made a slight clunk.

C

Do you have the 4.10 rear???

Common, than this ratio has a lot of pinion to ring gear slop... You can adjust it out... Mine did that and the dealer had to reset the backlash in the rear...

Todd Z

me, If the dealer looks at it, They will say it is performing to spec.. They can measure the backlash and tell if it is out of spec.....

It would not hurt to get it looked at just in case the rear is low on fluid, or something actually is wrong..

Todd Z