code 171 and or 174

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron schneider

Reaction score
code 171 and or 174 Can it be something else other than a vacuum leak on a job 1.

I checked using carb cleaner and nothing happen could not find leak. Must have used a whole can. Where else can I check. I spray the maf sensor with that contact cleaner.The codes still came back what next.

:blink:

If the vacuum elbow is split really bad, the carb cleaner method will not find it. PUll....I repeat...PULL the elbow and check it. The crack can be on the bottom and you won't see it by visual inspection. It's free to check it....so just try!!

You are correct....they do not...my mistake!

The way I have found vaccum leaks in the past...I use a spray bottle of water..I set it on stream...have the engine running...spray around the manifold and hose connections...when this way works the engine will suck in the water and stumble..dont spray any electical connections...

Hmmm..... I have a 2001 ST, production date is 6/01, order placed in May of 01, recieved it on 6/26/01 and it has the elbow, which I just replaced as I speak. Is this a job 2 or job 1? WHat is the cutoff date for either/or? BTW, it is best to put a clamp to hold it in place so that it won't slip off/loose as my hose tends to do. I don't know why they would just produce it to just slip on. I can tell that it slips because of the change in my engine idle. Oh, and the FORD dealer where I bought my truck only wanted to sell me the WHOLE ASSEMBLY instead of just the hose. Another dealer looked in their inventory and came away with an "elbow" that fit perfectly for $14.00! NAPA had something longer with an elbow and a twist to it for $5.99. Guess where I went! LOL;)

Hmmm..... I have a 2001 ST, production date is 6/01, order placed in May of 01, recieved it on 6/26/01 and it has the elbow, which I just replaced as I speak. Is this a job 2 or job 1? WHat is the cutoff date for either/or? BTW, it is best to put a clamp to hold it in place so that it won't slip off/loose as my hose tends to do. I don't know why they would just produce it to just slip on. I can tell that it slips because of the change in my engine idle. Oh, and the FORD dealer where I bought my truck only wanted to sell me the WHOLE ASSEMBLY instead of just the hose. Another dealer looked in their inventory and came away with an "elbow" that fit perfectly for $14.00! NAPA had something longer with an elbow and a twist to it for $5.99. Guess where I went! LOL;)