code PO442, check engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
The engine light come on today so I took the truck to Advance Auto to have them check the codes, can up with code PO442, leak in emissions control system( vacuum). What can I do to fix this or do I have to take it to a shop, any help would be great I know I can count on you guys.:unsure:

- After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications

- Small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes

- Canister vent solenoid stays partially open on closed command

- Damaged, cross-threaded or loosely installed fuel filler cap

- Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components

- EVAP system component seals leaking (EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, canister vent solenoid, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same code.. went to purchase a New gas cap.. but instead pulled mine opem, cleaned the ring off and the inlet. actually pulled off the ring and let the pressure of me pushing up against the sealed area close it back.. Haven't had the code come back for over 6 months now... hope this helps ...

rob

Two of the most common and simple things to check are the Gas Cap and look under the back of your ST for a hose hanging down or loose. The hose will be located right above the spare tire. If niether of these are the problem, then follow the list TRACket posted.;)

Little trick that you can do to see if the seal is failing or not is to make sure the gas cap seal is clean and dry and put the smallest dab of grease(or whatever you have lying around) on the seal itself. When i say small I mean SMALL, like a pin drop small. Put the gas cap on and tighten like you normally would. Now remove the cap and see if the grease has transfered to the rest of the seal equally. Keep in mind that this is useless if in fact the vent portion of the cap is bad.

Hello all thanks for the great info. My ST is having the same issue, thus I have replaced the fuel cap (and had tested), found hose on assy above spare tire off, and repaired. Reset computer, drove for 4 days engine light returned on. Dash odometer displayed "check fuel cap" right before the engine check light came back on. The display had not shown this before. I plan to recheck all the hose's again but not sure of the location of the evap system. Any suggestions.

Thanks for any assistance.

GECKO

[email protected]