codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P0442 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak) The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for presence of a small fuel vapor leak. The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.04 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test. After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications

Small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses/tubes

Canister vent solenoid stays partially open on closed command

Damaged, cross-threaded or loosely installed fuel filler cap

Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components

EVAP system component seals leaking (EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, canister vent solenoid, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly)

How to fix it: Check to make sure your gas cap has been tightened 3 clicks or more; and check to make sure the evap canister hose, located on the drivers side near the spare tire, is connected.

I am sure that others will have additional info.

Mine was caused by a small leak (weak connection) of the small hose at the Charcoal Canister above the Spare Tire. There are two hoses, one smaller than the other. The smaller one is prone to come loose. It is located on the front of the canister and it's the passenger side connection on mine that kept coming loose. I tried putting some grease around it and some other technics, but none worked. My last attempt was I wraped some thread tape around it and replugged it in. It was tight getting it back in, but no codes since. That was over 2 months ago.;)

well i found on lines loose, but i did find one line coming off the rearend and running up by the carcol filters in the rear but wasn`t connected to anything. so where does it go?

Latest posts