Cold Air Intake - K&N or MAC??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
My next purchase after the chrome grille is going to be a Cold Air Intake...

Which outperforms which? Mac or K&N?

Thanks!

I had a K&N at one time, now I have a MAC. I'd say they're about the same. I only switched because I wanted the chrome pipe.

IMO..performance would be the same..Mac is a nicer looking unit and cheaper...I have a Mac on my stang for the chrome..I had K&N before that..no performance difference..

I went with a Airaid CAI because of it using less oil. Less oil = a lower insidense of oil on the Mass Air Flow Sensor. If I had it to do over I would choose the AEM dry flow filter because they have found a way of eliminating the use of an oiled filter altogether, therefore eliminating any possibility of any oil getting on to the MAFS. :D

Hi! Chris. I went with the AirAid cold air intake due to the fact that it has, besides the gauze layers, a synthetic layer, which filters down to 0.3 microns. The K&N and other full gauze filters do not do a very good job of filtering the small, highly damaging dirt particles. Oil analysis using K&N and similar filters, usually show a high silicon content, which comes from unfiltered dirt entering the intake system. (Think wear).

I agree with Roger and would go with the AEM dry filter system, which is also a fully synthetic material filter. They cost more, but the filtering quality can't be beaten, and they flow air as good as the K&N types.

Gary