cold air intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
one of the projects shows just replacing the stock air filter and box with a k & N type filter, and leaving the intake tube etc as stock... does this work as well as a full K & N type unit... and if so, where do you get the filter unit only

thx

Yes the rubber/whatever hose is good anuff (the only restrection is with the air box NOT the tube itself) you will not see any change going from the stock tube and the chrome *bling bling* tube. Try ebay.com.

The main adavantage of a full K&N/MAC/BOMZ(ebay) type unit is they have a conical filter. Conical filters have more surface area to pull air through; so in theory, they have a bit less restriction, and need cleaning less often.

I put the "full" MAC intake on mine, and it has been fine. The MAC is every bit the quality of the K&N, and about $75 less. BOMZ is another brand that I have seen marketed over ebay, you can land one of them for about $30. The BOMZ adds a conical filter in place of the airbox, but leaves the factory tube. As ions said, the factory tube is probably fine.

I was going to get a BOMZ filter, then I had a good deal pop up on a used MAC (with extra filter) from a MYST.com member, so I got that instead.