Cold Start Idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Hightshue

Reaction score
Temps here have reached the freezing mark and my ST That had been fine, now when started wants to die. Engine starts easy, revs to high idle but suddenly drops off too below 700rpm to stumbling, to keep running if not cut out. I can keep my foot on the peddle for a few seconds and get it to drop from a high idle to about 1000 rpm or hold it a little longer maybe 30 sec or so and it will warm up at a lower idle then normal without stumbling or cutting out.

Any troubleshooting ideas for this problem?

sounds like your iac (idle air control) valve needs to be cleaned/ replaced fairly easy to do and there is a project write up on it

Do as Chase 01 said, but while you're at it, clean the throttle valve. Here is a project on how to do it. Another thing you can do at that time is run some SeaFoam though it to clean the intake, injectors and upper cylinder. Total cost will be less than $10.;)

Jim,

I see you have a 2001 Trac. Is it a job 1 or job 2?

Look at the oil filler cap. What side is it on? Drivers or passengers side?

I may know what your problem is and tell you how to fix it.

Tom

I have been battleing with the same problem for two winters. I refused to bring it to the dealer. I changed ,IAC,temp sensor,MAf, cleaned throttle body. No AFter nothing else worked, I believe the problem to be the intake gaskets. I was going to change them but was a little overwhelmed with the location of the bolts. If anyone has some details on how to change these gaskets I would appreciate it.

Jim, you have a Job 1.

Jim and Billm506,

It sounds like you both have the intake gasket leak. It is the lower gasket. Do not be afraid. It is not that hard to do. The upper bolts use a T30 torx bit, but I don't remember the size of the lower bolts. I think they are 8 MM, but not positive. It isn't that hard. And decent mechanic can do it if you are too afraid to tackle the job yourself.

The symptons I had were this. CEL saying one bank was lean, I could drive it for a week before the CEL would come on after resetting it. Rough idle and if the engine was under 100 degrees F, the engine would not idle. If I kept it running until the engine got over 100 degrees, it would stay running.

If any of you guys are interested in more details, email me your address. I will send you a copy of the repair DVD to fix the problem.

You can also go to the dealer and tell the service manager to print you a copy of the service bulletin. Just ask for bulletin number <b><U>00M12</U></b>

Tom

I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. If I have a problem, I will take you up on the offer of the DVD. If you happen to be able to e-mail that large of a file, my e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks,

Bill

I don't think 5 GB is a size I could email.

Before you try to tear everything apart, you will need new gaskets. They are more like o rings than an actual gasket.

Tom

You better start searching online. I could not find them locally. I ended up getting them at the dealer.

Tom

Latest posts