Column problem???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom S

Reaction score
My 03 ST XLT 4x4 has been having intermittent issues for a couple months that were rarely but now almost daily. At times the cruise, wipers (except washer & hi speed), and horn will not work, however if I come to a stop, shut off the engine and restart it, all will usually work again. At times if I use the remote to lock the doors, the horn won't honk on the second or consecutive clicks, however if I start the truck and shut if off again, usually it starts working again too.

I haven't noticed anything else affected by this. The sunroof, heated seats, radio, guages, pretty much everything else has been working fine.

Anyone know where to start looking? Is there a module that controls only these units?

Thanks in advance,

TJ

btw, all of these things happen at the same time... either all of them work or none of them work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds as if you have a short in the steering column wiring. Connection problem or clock spring. The short in there may be causing the other problems, with the remote. or that is a difernt problem at the same time. I would start with the steering column wiring

The remote locks & unlocks like it should, just the horn confirmations doesn't when it's acting up. What doesn't make sense to me is that turning the key to "lock" and re-starting usually fixes it.

Latest posts