Computer not keeping correct time...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
In the past few months or so, I've noticed the clock on my laptop is not keeping correct time. It gains about 2-3 mins every two weeks or so. I know if it loses time my button battery may be going out, but gaining time? For some reason, my computer doesn't want to connect to the Microsoft time syncrinozation server, so automatic synco isn't a possiblity. Any ideas?

Tiger,

LaRue is probably right. PC's contain one or two disc lithium batteries (usually about the size of a nickel). They are used to keep the time and date while the PC is unplugged or powered off and typically start to get weak after about 2-3 years. No soldering is required, they have small plastic holders/clips. Some are held in place with a small screw.

...Rich

Well see, that's kinda the thing, the computer is never turned off, ever since I've got it, maybe 10 months ago, it's been on almost 24/7. The desktop I had previous, for 6 years, was the same way and I never replaced the battery in that. I'm not discounting the battery, but it doesn't seem right.

Tiger,

The batteries still go bad even if the power is never diconnected. In fact, lithium batteries seem to die sooner if they are under a constant charge. My first laptop had a Lithium ION battery that died after about a year because I use to keep it plugged in on AC power most of the time. I was advised by Compaq that this will shorten the life of Lithium batteries.

Also, I think the clock is always powered by the batteries and if they start to go bad, you will loose time even if you are on AC power.

It's the most common reason that PC's loose time and the logical starting point. The batteries are cheap and easy to replace, so it's worth the little bit of time and $.

...Rich

Computers did not always come with batteries to keep the time going. One of my first PCs did not come with a battery, and I had to set the date and time every time I turned it on. After that it kept time just fine. You should be able to remove the battery and the computer will still keep time.

Do you know if this is a recent thing, or has it always done this? The timer chip in some computers just seems to be off. We had a server one time that wouldn't keep the right time, so I reset it every week or so.

Tiger it isnt unusial at all to have a pc that is off with its time. I personaly have seen it several times on several diffrent types of pc's. Time is keept on a pc much like the clock frequency generator(for your processor) is by means of a crystal induceing a resonant frequency(ex.quartz wrist watches) then that frequency is either upscaled or downscaled to meet the requirements of said function. But crystals arnt always perfect and scalers definately arnt perfect and so that is why we see this discrepency. Another example of this is like the pc im useing right now. When I bench mark the processor it is actualy running 3 mhz faster than the proper speed. Not because its a realy good chip but because of small varences in the frequency generated by the Mobo to run the chip. Very very common thing but saidly some are much worse than others, but replaceing the battery is cheeap and easy and can never hurt to try. Just dont be to dissapointed if it dosent solve problem. Good Luck....

I am new here, but I would guess that the clock gaining time has nothing to do with that battery. As Walter said PC's are not great at keeping time.

If you are using XP take a look at this article it will tell you how to setup the PC to correct the time automaticly.

Alrighty, thanks guys, got a few ideas to run with now. thanks again.

Dreman-

It's not recent occurance, it's been going on for a few months. I'm not too terribly worried about it, but it can be kinda annoying at times.

I know most of you wont beleive this but sometimes visiting certain websites can change you clocks time. It used to happen to me and it took me forever to figure out that it was a particulary website that I used to visit.

just hold up your laptop, shake it, and yell to the mice that make the thing run, "hey you critters, slow down in there!!"

That's what it is, mice, spinning the wheel.

And they're still strong and fresh like they just came from the factory.

Latest posts