Computer Question. Adding a router to DSL.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
I know just enough about DSL to really not know anything too specific...

Bottom line is, I have a friend that will need to be adding a wireless router to his existing system so that his daughter will be able to use the internet via her laptop she will be getting for Xmas.

I assume..... that to add a wireless router it is the same as I added to my system, (I have a cable modem). In my case, I left my original Lynksis router and added a wireless router off one of the connections from the wired router.

He has a Saante Hub and a Sysco router already, am I correct in thinking I can jump off his hub to a wireless router like I set mine up or is DSL different for some reason.

Thanks in advance...

I always had my wireless router between the modem and the computer, i.e.-phone line to modem, modem to router, router to computer either by ethernet cable or wireless.

The wireless router should replace the existing router, unless he bought one without Cat5e ports on it. Running through the two daisy-chained routers would slow the connection.

Thanks all.

Nelson, just wanted to make sure it could be done in the way I had thought. As long as he does not have a dedicated reason to maintain his wired router I intend on eliminating it.

In my case, I had to keep my wired router as my wifes company has a professionally installed firewall attached to it. As it was, I had to go thru them to allow for my wireless router to go piggy back to the system. The added the same fire wall to it but requested to leave the wired router there in the event someone does find a way thru the wireless router. This will not allow then to the main system as it would stop at the original wired router.

Understood Kevin. I can understand your wife's company's concern too. Putting a wireless router in your house creates a backdoor into your home network. This is generally prohibited where I work.

The wired router creates a physical firewall to intruders trying to reach your wife's computer through yours or directly through the wireless modem.

You got it, since they paid for it all I try very hard to respect their wishes. Thus far, no issues, so we are both happy... LOL

I have DSL modem that has a wireless transmitter built in to it, then, after that I have a 4 port hub, not a router, about $25. So some computers are wired direct and some are wireless. Works great!

Gary D.

Like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
My DSL came from SBC and included the DSL modem and 4 telephone line filters that should be attached to each extension phone line except the one going to the DSL. That is how data and voice are separated on the same 2 wires. Usually the company providing the DSL service will include the DSL Router and line filters.

...Rich

Kevin,

Cisco is the company that makes Routers. Sysco is a company that is in the food service industry. I think we all knew what you meant, but it was kind of funny anyway?

:D:D

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend a little time, and configure the wireless router to use some security to connect.

If the daughter's laptop is going to be the only wireless device to connect, this could be as simple as requiring MAC authentication to connect, and they would have her wireless MAC address entered in as the only allowed wireless device. Or they/you can choose another authentication method, but DO NOT just leave it wide open for any device to connect without needing some form of authentication.

And even then, it isn't a guarantee that someone could not still hack their way in wirelessly, but it will stop the casual wireless signal thief.

Latest posts