Confessions of a Car Salesman

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Rampino

Reaction score
Since a lot of us are getting "new car fever", I thought this article from Edmunds would be helpful to anyone getting ready to do battle at the dealerships. Below is the intro from Edmunds, and I've also included the link to the full story.

Confessions of a Car Salesman

Introduction

What really goes on in the back rooms of car dealerships across America?

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

What are the tricks salespeople use to increase their profit and how can consumers protect themselves from overpaying?

These were the questions we, the editors at Edmunds.com, wanted to answer for our readers. But how could they really know that our information was accurate and up-to-date? Finally, we came up with the idea of hiring an investigative reporter to work in the industry and experience, firsthand, the life of a car salesman.

We hired Chandler Phillips, a veteran journalist, to go undercover by working at two new car dealerships in the Los Angeles area. First, he would work at a high-volume, high-pressure dealership selling Japanese cars. Then, he'd change over to a smaller car lot that sold domestic cars at "no haggle" prices.

We invite you to read the following account of Phillips' day-to-day experience on the car lots. Doing so will broaden your understanding of the dealership sales process. It will also cast a new light on the role of the car salesman. And, finally, it will help you get a better deal — and avoid hidden charges — the next time you go to buy or lease a new car.

Read, learn and enjoy.

— The editors at Edmunds.com

I worked at a mazda ealership for 4 yrs. Really nothing shady goes on behind closed doors. A car salesmen is nothing more then a messanger between the customer and the finance guy. A finance guy is nothing more then a person who types numbers into a computer now-a-days. Everything is done with computers.....plug in numbers, get a price.

It really comes down to attitude and how comfortable they make you feel while doing all of this.

Seems this guy is more of a writer (He wrote what seemed like a novel). I worked at a Ford dealership for 3 and a half years. General managers hate to see you weak at your sales, but it depends on what type of dealership you work for. Remember, they are out to make a buck just like you and me. This guy tried several lots , each different from another. If he worked at one of the others, maybe the goings on would be quite different. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me about 2 hours but I read this acticle ( book ) and I can say that all of these tricks and figures were used when I bought my Sport trac. The difference in their starting price and the price I paid was a little over $3000.00. It took me all day to get them down that much and every time the salesman came back from "the tower" they said this price is the best they could do. That works out to about $60 a month more I could have paid.

If you are unable to buy using X-Plan, the best thing to do is tell them you are going to be brief. You have a price in your head. It is fair for both parties involved. Give me your best price. I will either say yes, or I will walk out.

You would be suprised how fast they will give you a fair price. They know if you walk out, they will lose the sale.

Tom

Caymen,

Exactly what I have done for the last several years. No games, no bluffs, no

"We're going to give you, and only you this price because we like you so much!"

B.S! You need to make payroll, and I don't need or want to get ripped off.

Here's my offer...Say "Yes or No" so I can be on my way.

:)

Latest posts