Considering a 2004 sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky Marino

Reaction score
What should I look for in the truck? Are they known for anything drastic like rusting on the frame or anything else like that? It's got 48000 miles, single owner, no major wear on the seats or pedals or anything on the interior, no signs of rust, and was regularly maintained. They're asking about 13,000 for it. Good to meet you all.

That is seriously low mileage! Could be well worth it. See if they have all the receipts/records for the maintenance. That would make me feel more comfortable.

I bought my '07 Sport Trac Limited with 23,000 certified miles. The driver's side interior trim had some minor wear, and I've found some major drivetrain wear that ~$2000 of preventive maintenance will make as good as new. Since the factory warranty is still valid, I might not have to pay that out of pocket.

I'm one of those people who owns lots of cars, and as a result, I have cars with really low mileage for their age. That can make a great deal as long as the owner religiously did preventive maintenance specifically for little-used cars. Most don't.

My advice is to get an engine oil sample for testing, and see what comes back. Trust me, there are many experts in making an old car look a whole lot better than the costly parts are worth. Look for signs of excessive wear in the engine, drivetrain, chassis and electrical system. It might seem counter-intuitive in the auto world, but spending a few hundred bucks having a trusted mechanic go over a prospective five-figure buy is a pretty standard practice everywhere else.

I have an 04 as well. with 0 problems. Although I only have 38K miles on it, it's been very good. Keep in mind, many have lots of mods, like myself, which may help with preventing problems. We tend to keep a better eye on what's going on with the vehicle, you know, anal about everything. :rofl:

Gary D. in CT

I purchased a 2004 about 3 months ago with 63000 miles for 14,000 out the door that included a 3 year 36,000 warranty. My ST has the Premium package. That sounds like a good deal from my perspective.

4 wheel drive, gear ratio, and what extras if any with this truck? I have a 04 and love it. 65,000 miles but wuth after market stuff like shocks and sway bars, XCAL2, etc....

I've got a 2005 with 80,000. No problems. I don't see rust under the truck, and all the wiring is great. I do a lot of wiring with customizations and upgrades. :banana: I really enjoy my truck, and I would recommend this truck to anyone. The only thing is that it doesn't have too much power. I would like a small block v8. Other than the power, It's an awesome truck.:driving:

Pretty low miles for an '04. I say take it.

When I turned my '05 in on lease there was some surface rust around the perimeter of the radiator support.

If you buy it get the transmission flushed unless you have proof that it was done. The manual calls for that every 30,000 miles. Transfer case every 60,000 assuming it is a 4x4, but every 30 is better and it's not hard to do.

Bought my 04 last year with 124k at a local BMW dealer for $7700 it is a XLT Limited that just needed shocks and breaks. I put on new tires for the winter but other that that it has gone 20k over the past year with just oil changes etc. I have been really pleased so far!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts