Console Options?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We all know how tough it is to find the perfect high series center console. After lookign at several other consoles, and web searches, I am curious as to if this type of console will fit up properly?

Any one have any thoughts?

Bill- Check the (Steve M) post titled, "Another console option - documented" 3/27.

Very cool conversion, with pics. (This guy is seriously good)

Hope you got the Sears (Monroe) fiasco worked out, see the original post.

Many complained to Sears management, and prevailed. Probably not too late,

if you take action quickly. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, never thought of following up with management, might give it a shot. As for the console, I saw his thread and thats what made me start looking. I know there are other "full length consoles that look very similar from those years, so I was wondering if anyone knew if they could be installed to a decent fit, not exactly a 100% perfect fit.

I think after I fix the door lock, which looks to be a serious PITA, I may go back to the jun yard, pull a couple of consoles, and see what I can do. Where theres a will, theres a way.

Bill, that basic console is the same from what I've seen. I pulled one of those from a Mountaineer and one from a Sport Trac last Friday. The Mountaineer (& Explorer, I assume) with the information center has different wiring you'd have to deal with. You CAN find Explorer consoles without the message center though. The non-message center Explorer consoles "should" use the same wiring as the Trac. I think the upper panel/tray would be interchangeable and you can get a "pocket" panel to use in place of the information center. The upper tray on the Explorer/Mountaineer is lower profile than the Sport Trac's. The consoles mount EXACTLY the same though. I can post some photos in the next week as I get these two consoles and the batch of center trays in a more presentable condition. Bottom line is I think that yes those can be made to work even though it's not a drop-in/hook-it-up/exact replacement for the Sport Trac console.

Look for Gen 1 Sport Trac high series consoles in Gen 2 Explorers/Mountaineers ('95-'01). Low series consoles can be found in the Gen 2 Explorers, are probably interchangeable with Gen 1 ('91-'94) Explorers, quite possibly '89-'90 Bronco II's and maybe '84-'88 Bronco II's. It appears that all of these model share floor pan configurations or use plastic spacers to compensate for the minor differences.

When pulling the high series console you lift the top tray off and remove 2 screws sttaching it to the dash panel. There are two nuts to remove about half way back the tray area, two screws on the sides and then you have to beat the heck out of it towards the rear of the vehicle to get it off of the rear mount. Take a big rubber mallet to it. I forgot to take one and had to stick my butt to the windshield and knee kick it to dislodge it.( not a pretty picture I assure you!)

Last edited by a moderator: