Consumer Reports Auto Report Cards for 2007

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this [portion] of the article particularly interesting:

The Japanese Myth

In addition, CR's data shows that just because a car is Japanese doesn't mean that it's a great car. Honda and Toyota are lauded for their reliability and have built a number of high-rated models, including seven of Consumer Reports' Top Picks for 2007. But not all Japanese cars excel in reliability.

Other Japanese makers, such as Nissan, Mazda, and Mitsubishi have struggled to build high-quality cars consistently.

Nissan's lineup, on average, actually scores above Toyota's in CR's tests, 75 vs. 70. Nissan also produces several of the most reliable cars in Consumer Reports' latest reliability survey, including Infiniti sedans. But three Nissans -- the Armada, Titan, and Infiniti QX56 -- were among the models with the most reliability problems in the survey; all three are made in the same plant in Canton, Miss. Ford vehicles, in comparison, have slightly better reliability in the CR survey than cars from Nissan.

Like GM, Toyota has a large lineup, increasing the challenge of producing consistently excellent vehicles. Eight other automakers had higher average test scores, leaving Toyota just mid-pack in this respect. While tested Toyota vehicles are very reliable and most have good fuel economy, they typically lacked agility in CR's testing.

The analysis also showed that U.S. automakers build some good models. But many vehicles are mediocre, and even the best seldom rise to the top of their categories against stiff competition.

Some automakers' vehicles consistently do well in important areas such as handling, braking, and fuel economy, which weigh heavily in Consumer Reports' test ratings. The automakers that typically do best in CR's ratings tend to build well-rounded vehicles that appeal to a broad audience.

Some companies with smaller product lineups consistently design well-rounded vehicles. All the Hondas tested by CR were reliable, and most had smooth, refined engines and transmissions, good fuel economy, handling, fit and finish, and crash-test scores. But almost all suffered from road noise. Mazda also has a smaller lineup, and all but one Mazda Tribute had good handling and braking in CR's tests. Most were noisy.

The full story, titled "Which companies make the best cars?" appears in CR's Annual April Auto Issue, which goes on sale everywhere magazines are sold on March 6. Free highlights from the April Auto Issue will be available at http://Cars.ConsumerReports.org.

My boss just bought a Titan a few months ago...been back to the dealer 3 times because the driver side door won't open. It's an OK looking truck, but I kiddingly call it the "fantastic plastic" to bother her.

I remember the initial quality issues of the Titan when it first hit the market. Nissan brought over half of its quality team from Japan to MS to try and fix the problems. Obviously they still have some work to do. There was a Nissan Titan commercial during the NFL season where the guys were fast-forwarding through the game to get to the Titan commercial. The truck is blasting through the mud and such in what looks like a warehouse. I noticed the mice type one day and paused it...the MSRP of model shown was $45,000. $&$&^()(_)$$#!. That much for a foreign pickup is robbery.

Regardless, the Nissan plant complex in Canton is quite impressive. However, they have a cool little toy they use to protect the vehicles there. They have a sonic blaster to essentially blast away potential thunder/lightening/hail storms from their massive parking lot of completed vehicles. This thing shakes the whole area when it starts going off. It sounds a lot like thunder from the location I was working in about 20 miles away. Pretty neat though. That must be what all of their quality money is being spent on.

There was a Nissan Titan commercial during the NFL season where the guys were fast-forwarding through the game to get to the Titan commercial. The truck is blasting through the mud and such in what looks like a warehouse.

And if u watched the commerical closely you would have noticed that its bumper was jiggling all over the place. take about a non solid truck. i pointed it out to some friend and they were also amazed that they would air that commerical because it showed how flimsy the thing was

People are funny...

Of course the bumper looked like it was bouncing around, the frame was being flexed. The frame HAS to flex, otherwise it'd be overstressed and eventually break. ALL cars, trucks, and any other vehicle on the road has this flex. But of course, since it's a foreign car, it has to be inferior and has to be made with inferior parts. You know those giant skyscrapers in New York and Chicago and places like that? They deflect too, just from wind. Sometimes the top of the building will be out of square from bottom of the building by FEET. And those are good ol' American buildings built with American steel.

Education, it is a beautiful thing.

What the article says meets up pretty well with what I have seen at the different automakers. Through various jobs, I have had exposure to the engineering groups at most of the Japanese as well as domestic automakers. While all of them have their issues, Toyota and Honda seem to be the least disfunctional. GM, Ford, Mazda, & Nissan seem to have a few more problems and require more hand holding -- in general, they let their suppliers do alot of the "heavy lifting" in their engineering groups rather than directing their suppliers. Some of the other smaller manufacturers -- Subaru, Mitsubishi -- tend to be a little out of touch with the others. I have had little direct contact with Chrysler

As I said, though, all of them have their issues. I have seen good things and bad things from each.

My two cents --

Rocks

It might be interesting if the article did not come from "Consumer Reports". They don't rate vehicles fairly, and put vehicles against other vehicles that are not even in their class and then rate them poorly because they did not do well in that class.

...Rich