Control Arm Bushing?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Wustman

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace/have replaced their control arm bushing(s)? My front suspension feels like it is hanging on by half a shock lately, and I just can't figure out the problem. The ball joints are fine, so I was thinking maybe the control arm bushings? Any input?

Brett

I changed all my balljoints and endlinks and still have a frontend rattle, control arm bushings were my thought to.

Usually it's easy to see if a control arm bushing is shot. When you look at it, there might be pieces of it hanging out or missing. At the least there should be open cracks in the rubber. Look at the bushings and see what condition they are in. If there isn't a continuous ring of rubber around the edge of the bushing, they need to be replaced.

My brother replaced the bushings in the front of his 1999 Explorer (same as the 1st generation Trac.)

I called him about it. He does not remember what part numbers he used.

Tom

It's a real pain, but it can be done. You have to remove the control arm, press out the old bushings, press the new one back in, and replace the control arm. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Getting the old bushing out and the new bushing in and seated right is the pain. Some shops will press them out and back in for a small price. Check to make sure they even make a bushing for our application. Some are only available as a complete assembly with bushings, control arm, and ball joint.

P.S. Apparently it is available as a bushing only, according to Tom. He snuck in before I could finish typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger, I don't see a description for these, what exactly are they for? Are they just regular ball joints? Thanks!

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little research. I went to the Energy Suspension website and found a little more data.

Click link below.

Tom

DUNERUNNER,

Here's the description:

Moog ball joints are performance ball joints from a name you can trust.

Moog Chassis Parts have long been known for their problem-solving heritage. Their focus has always been on improving OE technologies, designing easy-to-install parts, solving real OE problems, and developing leading-edge technology. Moog ball joints are no exception--Moog ball joints help to restore your chassis to like-new condition, with the performance and durability required to reach the winner's circle. For performance ball joints from a name you can trust, you need Moog ball joints.

How was the front end checked, Was it checked properly ???

Todd Z

I had it up on jack stands...probably didn't check it over properly. I just visually inspected everything and check for anything loose. What do you mean by properly checking?

With torsion spring suspensions you need to load and unload the Ball joints to check them. Requires the truck on jack stands on the frame and a jack on the control arm, Then you can check for play in the ball joints....

Have to move the tires to check the tie rods and rack.

I think a place like sears does front end inspections for free, May want to consider that...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd!

I don't think I can go back to my local Sears, they took 5 hours to r&r my shocks this spring. I have another shop to go to though.

Brett

Doesn't moog sell the entire control arm, bushings, and ball joint in one piece for like $100? The more I think about it, if you have a high mileage trac it may be more cost effective to rebuild the entire front end as you can work your way from the inside out with about $1000 in parts.

Hey why the fork is sears so slow? I waited 4 hours for brakes and almost threw a fit in there.

Latest posts