Converting 2002 ST to synthetic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew H

Reaction score
I've heard that you can realize a small increase in MPG's after changing to full synthetic. From what I've read, this is mainly due to less internal friction in the engine.

Having said that, has anyone converted a 2002+ ST to full synthetic? Any helpful hints?

Thanks!

You can do it, BUT if you change your regular oil at 3K any way, Don't waste your time and money..

Todd Z

I drive a fair amount, I did the change mostly for convenience of not having to change my oil so often. I have better things to do than to change my oil every 3000 miles.

So for me, I gained some mileage as well as time.

The gas savings is very small and should not be the sole reason for switching to synthetic oil. The main reasons for using synthetics is the extended oil change intervals and that synthetic oils tolerate more heat without breaking down.

I ran both of my Sport Trac's on Mobil-1, 5W30 and saw a very small increase in mileage after switching, but that was when they were new, and mileage will improves when you get about 10K miles on the engine.

...Rich

The main reason for switching is the extended oil life and change interval. The mileage and performance gains are just pluses, even if they are minimal :D Every bit counts nowadays, right?

I just switched my '04 to Syn. Im going for the extended service life of the oil. Im going for 10k to 12k change. With a filter and 1qt at the half way point.

Got 2 changes of castrol and K&N filter for $24 each. The manager at advance said, they put those sales on, every other month. Sometimes It might be a different brand syn oil or the Mobil 1 filter. That doesnt bother me. It is all qaulity. IMO, there is to much hype about some brands. Which leads to jacking up the price.

I converted my '02 to full synthetic several years ago. I changed everything except the front diff. I did not notice much, if any, mileage gain. LIke everyone has said, the mileage between oil changes is much better. I have 165K, and I have no issues to speak of.

The cost of synthetic oil is a problem for most, but keep an eye on the parts stores. They usually run specials. I usually get Castrol synthetic with a Bosch filter for 19.99 at my local store. I just have to buy it when it's on sale and not when I need it. as a result, I usually have extra oil and filters hanging around the shop.