Coolant Hoses

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Trundle

Reaction score
I own a post 7/24/00 2001 Sport Trac that I want to change the coolant hoses on. Actually I'll be changing the thermostat, therm housing, temp sending unit and oil sending unit. Man has it been tough tracking down all the hoses that carry water, not just basics like upper/lower radiator, bypass, and heater hoses. There is a T fitting right off the firewall in one of the heater hoses that carries coolant in a small (3/8"?) hose to the drivers side firewall. Here it fits on a metal tube that wraps around an air intake I believe, and returns all the way back around the passenger side to near thermostat. Also there is a T in one of the joined metal heater hose tubes (the tubes that sit on the passenger side valve cover area) that has another small hose going to near the themostat as well. Neither of these appear on the print out from the Ford dealer parts department. Anyone ever change ALL the coolant hoses on their Sport Trac and have any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3/8 hose is part of the PCV system, it warms up the air coming from the crankcase through the PCV into the air intake......

The major hoses are the only ones I would replace... The heater hoses may be a dealer part any way.....

Those you can visually inspect and replace if cracked, or dry rotted. IF you have replaced your coolant at the regular intervals your hoses should last some time...

Changing the hoses is easy except for the bypass hose, it is a little tough....

Just use NEW clamps and wipe everything dry and install, then get the air out and your good to go..

Todd Z

Thanks for the reply Todd. So if my goal is to change every coolant carrying hose that PCV warm-up would be one of them plus it's return hose and the other 3/8 one I mentioned that starts at a T in the joined heater hose connecting pipes. Still think its odd that a parts dept. at a dealer can't identify them.

I did get my heater hoses from the dealer and will use new clamps...

Any trick to "getting the air out"?

You said changing the hoses is easy, I hope so. I am debating about changing the heater control valve as well. My Trac has 97,000 and will be 7 years old this July.

Todd T

The little hoses may not be a "service" part. IF it is molded into the heater to block hose or heater to w/p hose, then they will come with it...

The little short hoses are probably just some 3/8 heater hose cut to length...

Changing the heater control valve is not really worth it, BUT your st is a JOB 2 motor you can upgrade to the 04 and up hoses and re locate the control valve from behind the belt to in front of the heater like it is on the 04-05..

IF you have a JOB 1 motor, then have them look up the hoses for a 2000 explorer or sport, the engine is the same and the hoses should be also...

I think the dealer is not looking up the right build date for you...

As far as air, there is a way to sit the truck and squeeze the hoses to bleed out the air... Simply filling it back up and capping it will cause problems...

Todd Z

Thanks, I may skip installing the new heater control valve. Doubt I'll relocate it at this point but that was an interesting bit of info. If JOB 2 motor means built after 7/24/00 that's what I have. That appears to be an important build date for first year (2001) ST's. That heater hose T fitting for the PCV coolant-heated air intake doesn't appear on pre 7/24/00 ST's.

Well I guess I'll research the "proper way to sit the truck and squeeze the air out"!

Todd T