Coolant questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
Hey, I was changing my air filter today and noticed that my coolant looked different. It is a brownish almost chocolate milk color. under the overflow container lid there is a layer of brownish muck that looks like might have sprayed the underneath of my hood. Does this sound normal or do I have an issue on my hands? its starting to get cold here in Iowa and really don't want to have to deal with a potential issue when its snowing out. my ST has 108,000 miles on it and i have not changed it since i bought it 3.5 years ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:eek:nline:

My reservoir was slushy like that right after I had the radiator flushed at the dealership. It was the first time I had this service done. I forget when or what the mileage was at the time but I know I was overdue. Anyhow, I kept an eye on temps for a while and the stuff disappeared eventually. The coolant in the reservoir looks like orange gatorade now. Never figured out what that stuff was. Was it a bi-product and build-up of coolant in the radiator?

Definitely time for a coolant flush. Was the level low or do you see any signs of leaks?

Check the Rad color.... the bottle discolors over time as its the FORD GOLD in your truck, not the GREEN..... if you mix them it can gell and discolor.....

Todd Z

How do you know he should use Gold?

My 2001 came with green. And that's what I continue to use (not the original fluid, though -- it has been changed).

Here's what the 2001 manual says:

The cooling system in your vehicle is filled with either green-colored

Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant meeting Ford specification

ESE-M97B44A or yellow-colored Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine

Coolant meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51A1. To determine your

vehicles coolant type (color), check your coolant reservoir.

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 Manual:

Engine coolant Motorcraft

Premium Gold

Engine Coolant

(yellow-colored)

For sure he should follow Ford's advice. My '03 Adrenalin used Gold, as did my '07 and my current '10. I just figured if my '03 used gold, that his '04 would also use it.

Coolant is commonly neglected. As it breaks down in use you lose freeze point and corrosion protections. I've seen this brown scum in two of my Tracs; dismantling the overflow tank and cleaning it out with Simple Green solution and a flexible brush gave me that spiffy look again. Want to avoid costly breakdowns and have your cars run right and last? Do prospective maintenance rather than reactive.

Ford approved Zerex G-05. Check NAPA.

Latest posts