Cooling system question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Montez

Reaction score
I noticed my coolant in my reservoir is kinda brown looking (its not rust or anything like that I don't think) Looks like the coolants were mixed and it made a gross color or something... It was recommended that I have a power flush on my cooling system. Is that really necessary or can I just flush it out myself somehow? Is htere a way to flush the system yourself?

Kirk

Kirk,

How old is your coolant??

Also your 2001 uses the regular GREEN coolant.

Todd Z

It should do the same. Use distilled water, not tap water, though. I'll probably be joining you this weekend in doing that. I had my wife's Jeep Liberty flushed by someone because I couldn't find a hose to put the T in, not a problem with ST or my Ranger.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

The 02 ST is also GREEN.... THE 03 and UP use the FORD GOLD coolant...

The power flush is a good idea if the system is dirty or nasty, but if you change the coolant every 60K you will never a hose power flush..

ALSO most house water systems can be over 60PSI, if you run the water hard it can and will damage the system in the truck by over pressurizing it..

Todd Z

On a lot of newer vehicles it's impossible to install a Flush-n-Fill kit. My usual method is to remove the cap and pull off the lower radiator hose. Pop it back on without the clamp, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, etc. until it drains pretty clear. Then whatever half the total capacity is, dump in that much antifreeze. Then drive it a bit with the cap on half-tight and heater on, check the level, and fill with water as needed.

Latest posts