Copperhead Shackles??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barham

Reaction score
I just got a set of Copperhead Shackles for my '05 ST. Could not pass on them for the price. Not as pretty as Warriors but I can fix that myself for less then the $40 difference. I do have one problem, I guess the low price does not include directions. I am good with install, but they are wider on one end then the other. Narrow end up or down????? I was thinking up but not sure. Also original bolds should fit right, or should I go buy new grade 8 bolts. If so does someone know the size. Thanks -BB

Sounds like you got a deal. Where did you buy the shackles at??

I can not tell you which direction to mount them, but I am sure someone will be able to tell you off hand. I do believe that most people have reused their original bolts when installing shackles. I would recommend inspecting them to make sure they are not damaged in any way, but if they look OK, there should be no reason to spend the money on new

Don't forget to post pics when you are done! :banana:

Brett

Got them straight from Copperhead out of Texas. They are not painted or coated but you can do that yourself. They are going to get messed up anyway. Thanks for the info. I will do some pic through the process. Going to do a TT at the same time. -BB

I don't know for the upside/down side, I'll put mine on this weekend and will check witch way is better for clearance!!

The bolt are either 9/16'' or 14mm by 5''.

My shackles had too small hole for the right bolts, might want to check that first!

Good luck!

The shackles should be the same width top and bottom. Also if you manage to get these to work get some new bolts and use plenty of anti-sieze on them and inside the bushing, otherwise the bolt tends to seize onto the bushing. Good luck.

I mounted mine with the one hole in the up position . thant what the directions said .I think just about any shackles are better than the stock ones . Even the pep boys specials . Once you take out the stocks you'll see how cheezy they are you could bend them in your hands

Jerry, I looked at them. As long as they are not 105 mild steel and the welds are good. I think they will be strong enough.

Justin, shackles on leaf spring cars and trucks have been that way for over 50yrs. Never known one to break.

Yeah as long as the welds are done right and the steel is good grade it should work but I'm just not sure about doing any serious or mild offroading with them and the bolt holes don't look like they're that big either?

I was surprised as to the mass of these shackles I did not think they would be as big or as thick. The welds are great and the pieces and holes are plasma cut. It's 1/4" steel with 1/2" holes. I just don't know which way's up.....like with most things.

When you go to mount them the longer side goes up for suspension travel. If you say they're good quality then the pictures aren't that good to judge quality by. Installing them is a breeze, just go to the projects section and look at Nate's lift or lifted ST You want to get grade 8 nuts and bolts and if possible get nuts with plastic thread ends.

Latest posts