Could this be the problem???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I changed my rotors, pads, bearings today... and I thought i'd start investigating my stalling issue.

I cleaned the IAC, and the throttlebody today as well.... But I noticed, it was REALLY dirty, like way dirtier than ever. I then noticed when the throttlebody was off that the part that it attached to is really dirty too... like we are talking lots of black soot looking stuff.

Anyways, I cleaned my intake, my intake tube, the throttlebody, and the IAC, but what about that thing that the throttlebody mounts on... how can you clean that?

Also, my MAF sensor for sure has to be dirty, but I dont know what to use to clean it... I have a few things on hand, but I wanted to see if I could use them or I need something special..

Anyways, can I spray carb cleaner on the MAF sensor? Brake Cleaner?

Could all this mess be the cause of my stalling (when coming to a stop while driving only, thats the only time it stalls out) If not any other suggestions while im dirty as can be? :)

I am on my PDA right now so I cant opeen a new screen and retrieve the link for you.

But,,,, if you go to the left side of the screen and open the project links you will find a link to clean the IAC. You can use the same cleaner on the upper intake to clean that area as well.

Do a search on cleaning the Mass Air Flow. You will find what others have used to clean the sensor....

XST-you can buy throttle body cleaner at canadian tire for cleaning your intake etc. It is safe for fuel injected engines.

Clean the MAF sensor with a good, spray on, electrical cleaner like CRC Electrical cleaner that you can get most automotive supply stores. What ever you do Do Not touch the MAF sensor wires because breaking them means you'll be out over $300.

Change your gas filter if it has been more than 30k since it was last changed.

You could do the Sea Foam intake cleaning project too.

Clean your air filter, but Do Not over oil it. That is what causes the MAF sensor to get dirty.

Sounds like it is time to replace the PCV valve as well....

Todd Z