Crack goes the windshield

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Small rock hits my windshield yesterday on I-85. Causes a crack about 4" long. As of this morning, it's grown to 18". I managed to go 25 years without a windshield break. Guess it was my turn.

Yeah, that sucks. I would rather a windshield then a scratch in the paint...

Unfortunately live in NY and drive the LIE, you expect to put a windshield in every car you own at least once..

Todd Z

Bought a new car one year and as I drove away from the dealer had a rock chip the window... Dealer wouldn't help out and three days later in below freezing temps the crack went all the way across the window.

Last summer with the ST I got a nice star near the edge of the windshield. As I'm talking to the claims adjuster it starts to crack and ends up almost the width of the windshield. They replaced it two days later.

Our race car we buy 2 or 3 a season. 135.00 when you say 1995 3 series BMW. 195.00 if you say M3...LOL It's the same windshield.

Got a nice bulls eye last winter driving back home from school. Hasn't spread or changed in 8 months, so I'm gonna leave it alone. If it spreads, I'll be seeing someone.

Had to replace the windshield in my wife's old Expedition after a similar problem a few years back. Hope you can find a local supplier other then Ford. I only paid about $150 for an off brand that was very good and less then half what Ford wanted. One of these days I would like to replace my ST's windshield. No cracks or anything but after over 5 -1/2 years of driving it and always parking outside, it's not as clear as it was.

Had a bird hit my 04 windshield one year LOL... It was kind of funny. It cracked and I waited the longest time before getting it replaced. It ended up being $325 through my insurance through the local glass shop. Just glad I didn't have to pay for squat.

Sorry Rich. I got a bullseye right where the rearview attaches. Every vehicle I drive ends up needing a windshield, and I don't tailgate. :wacko: :angry: :D

Jeff C, a bullseye (or any windshield damage) is a significant safety hazard. The amount that such a seemingly small defect causes the windshield to weaken is amazing. (I don't have the info in front of me here, but I know I've been astonished in the past any time I've seen it.) A sound windshield will protect you greatly in a crash--an even slightly damaged one not only doesn't provide that protection, but actually becomes a safety hazard.

This is the reason Minnesota (and I believe some other states) have a zero deductible policy on glass coverage for insurance. Basically, if you have comprehensive insurance here, you also have full glass coverage with no deductible--regardless of the amount of deductible on your comprehensive coverage. They do it because they don't want the cost of the deductible to deter anyone from having a damaged windshield repaired.

Long story short--do yourself a safety favor, and get the repair done.

A few years ago, it actually went too far here in MN--the insurance companies were being paid enough for these repairs that, to gain a competitve advantage against other glass repairers, they were offering and advertising kickbacks to customers. Typical ones were a box of steaks, $50 restaurant gift certificates, etc. Needless to say, the potential for fraud was rampant--"Honey, we're out of steak, and I want to barbecue this weekend. Go throw a hammer through your windshield."

The legislature eventually put an end to it--but of course they did it the wrong way. Instead of requiring insurance companies to stop paying such exhorbitant rates for glass coverage to the repair companies (and requiring the savings to be reflected in customer premiums), they simply declared that the glass repair places are required to keep all the money they receive from the insurance companies--they're not allowed to give it away to their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is worse than driving BEHIND a windshield replacement truck who spits up a rock and cracks your windshield. :angry:THEN your insurance tells you that is the company they use to replace cracked windshields. I had to go back and apologize to the guy after I chewed his behind for cracking my windshield (he was turning into their shop at the time and I pulled in behind him). Thirty minutes later he was replacing my windshield.:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can top that. My windshield got nailed last Tuesday. 3 days earlier I changed my insurance policy from New York to New Jersey.

There is no full glass option in New Jersey. :angry:

Rich, were you on 85 north between Suwannee and Braselton? I have been going that way 3 to 4 times a week for the last month. Every day, something bounces off my truck going through that area.