Cracked elbow !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
I decided to bring in my 02 ST (81K) for a full tune up, serpentine belt, and finally get the "check engine" light diagnosed. Additionally, I started to get idle flutter in the past few weeks.

Three codes came back p0171 - p0174 - p0300.

P0171 - lean fuel #1

P0174 - lean fuel #2

P0300 - misfire

My local mechanic said he was able to resolve 171 and 174, and he told me that Ford had a TSB on p0300, but he felt the tune up with new plugs and wires would resolve the p0300 misfire (similar to some posts out here for p0300)

The ST ran much better when I picked it up, and the idle flutter was gone, but for some reason the idle in a resting position (light, stop sign) still didn't feel "just" right. I guess after you drive a vehicle for 80K you know how it should feel. I called the mechanic and scheduled another appointment to check out the idle, and then the dam check engine light reappeared. I decided to search the site again and I found a post with the same exact three codes. The thread noted to check for the "infamous cracked elbow", and low and behold when I checked it was cracked. I started up the truck and simply put my finger over the crack and the idle calmed right down. Amazing ! So I got charged $78 from my LM for diagnosing what? :unsure: Anyhow, I went to auto-zone and they didn't have the replacement part elbow, so I stopped at Napa, and even though Napa didn't have it, the rep came out and took a look at what I needed, and gave me a similar replacement part that I just had to cut down. That was great customer service IMO. ;)

I changed the cracked elbow and the ST is running like a charm and the idle is back to normal. I had a new battery installed at Sears, so I asked the service tech to allow enough time to clear the check engine - so far - so good after a few days of driving. No check engine light.

Here is the new cut down elbow and the original with the crack.

[Broken External Image]:

For an "auto" challenged person it was great to diagnose a problem and fix it. I am not going to ding my local mechanic for not finding this cracked elbow, but I have already popped him email how I found the issue and resolved it. I am curious what I got charged $78 for ?

As many say - Thanks to all those who post out here. I have been coming out since 2002 and really enjoy reading the posts and hope to have the ST for a long time.

Dan

You need to get your $$ back for the improper fix. I wont pay for what a mechanic thinks is the fix. I pay for what fixes it.

The replacement part from the local dealer here in Texas was only $32 dollars and you get the whole part with the rubber connections on both ends.:rolleyes:

I had a similar problem on our 1998 Ford Windstar with same diagnostics codes except I had a P1538 instead of the P0300.

The P1538 = Intake Manifold Runner Control stuck open.

After I found, yes, a cracked elbow in a vacuum hose, I spent 3 hours driving aroud before I found a 3/8" replacement (labled as a Chrysler replacement). Then, I disconnected the levers from the IMRC modules to the manifold runners and moved them to the fully closed positions. I checked manifold vacuum before & after, and replacing the cracked elobow fixed the low vacuum problem

Runs fine now and does not stall at traffic lights etc.

I recently had to fix my elbow.. had the same symptomes... Idle was wrong whenever i was stopped... hell 1 time it accualy cut off at idle before i get the elbow fixed... This seems to be a very very very common maintence issue.. Maybe ford should have included it into the Scheduled Maintenance Manual

Latest posts