Cracked elbow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Jenkins

Reaction score
Well got a check engine light last night and got it scanned by Auto Zone. Got the codes for O2 sensors and the salesman tried to sell me the 63.99 and 43.99 sensors and said I needed 4 2 front and 2 after the cat.??? so I said hold on remembering all the post on the cracked elbow throwing the same codes and went outside to check right quick. Sure enough mine was crack on top. Went in side and got a 5/8" piece of heater hose and a spring bend and fix it 5 minutes flat. Salesman was very confused when I said I think this will fix the problem. Thanks to the message board for all the great info keep it coming.:D:D:D

Good Idea but a temp fix. The heater hose wont stand up to the oil vapors forever. It will soften and colapse.

They are scanner reads, not mechanics...

Though it is VERY nice for them to read the codes, unless they were or are a wrench they really don't know how the many many items work hand in hand.

Vacuum leak means lean fuel mixture. O2 sensors see them and report the issue. Thus the O2 code... So they are doing there job and most just assume they are defective.

Glad you remembered and got it solved for low end money...

You're welcome, that's why we're on here to help each other. You want to go to a dealer and get the elbow replaced, I did mine and it cost me $28 for the elbow, it comes as the whole tube with the elbows on each end, 30sec's to replace if that.:banana::cool: :D

Well got a check engine light last night and got it scanned by Auto Zone. Got the codes for O2 sensors and the salesman tried to sell me the 63.99 and 43.99 sensors and said I needed 4 2 front and 2 after the cat.???

FWIW, the downstream sensors monitor the operation of the converters and do nothing with the operation of the engine. If an O2 sensor was bad, the computer would say "O2 sensor out of range". (it would give a code saying that what it was)

Tom

Latest posts