Crazy eights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
Ok so the other day while i was waiting for my alarm to get installed i got to hear a set of eights in the shop owners honda accord. so i see these eights and the magnet is massive. They are made by Digital Design and i was sceptical because i have never heard of them. Anyway so i listen to them and cant believe my ears. they were the loudest things i had ever heard. louder than my friends m3s. anyway, they were amazing. i talked to him about them and he said they would fit in trac so this summer im getting a custom tuned box made for behind the rear seats of the trac with these two eights. look these speakers up. they are insane. i will definitely post pics when i get this done

How many 8's and was it a ported enclosure?

Im putting a ported 8W7 from JL in my ST, if I dont decide to start tearing apary seats to fit something bigger...

Ever since I heard a W7 I dont think i'd stray to any other brand with whats out there now... W7's pound and sound really, really good

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=1

i think the JL's are about the same but quality but more expensive. havent done enough research. But it was two eights in a ported enclosure tuned for a good mix of volume and low base. it was a killer. i decided to do the two eights instead of one twelve the minute he said they would fit.

Some of the best brands in car audio are companies most people have never heard of. Another intesting fact would be that the vast majority of them are main the US.

DD like stated above it well know in the competition world. There are a million other small companies that make great products, they just aren't anywhere as cheap as Rockford, Kicker and the other big name companies.

I'd take a DD in a heartbeat over any of the larger guys. (Including JL)

JD,

They make any thing that would fit in your dual 8 box ??

Todd Z

No all of the high end subs are too beefy for the boxes I built. They are typically double stacked magnets.

Like Clay said though it can be done, it just requires fiberglassing or building a much more complex box to fit these deeper subs.

the guy that told me they would work took one of the eights and sat it back there and said he could do two eights on the drivers side with the port facing the passenger side. the amps will have to be mounted under the seat. he quoted me $150 for the box saying that he should be able to do t without fiberglass. he said $250 if he does have to glass

Ok,

Thanks. Not to hijack, I have 2 California acoustics in there now, Just wanted something a little better..

Todd Z

The DD 1508 has a 5.25" mounting depth, so with removing all of the storage compartment crap it will be tight, but it will more than likely fit without fiberglass. However I don't know how he's going to get 2 cubic feet back there. So two subs might not sound as good as one would.

Oh I would also make sure it has a grill on it.. I can't find the xmax, but it might be the same as suspension which is listed as 55mm. Thats a pretty big throw so you might end up with the subs hitting the back of the seats without a grill.

my other plan was to go with a premier slim 12" sub so im not doing any audio work til this summer. ill talk to him more in depth about it then. but he did a good job with my alarm and remote start.

eight will sound good if they are in the right box. back in the day about 1992. i had a hatchback and i had one crunch eight dropping 130 desbals. you just wont` have the drop of the bigger size speakers.