Cruise Control Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Starting to have some problems with the cruise. When I try to engage it, the light on the dash flashes, and then goes out. Cruise does not engage. I can do this 10 or more times, and then it finally engages. After it engages, it seems to work fine, and after once getting it engaged, taking it in and out of cruise works ok until the next time I drive it.

Since the cruise does seem to work fine once I get it engaged, I'm thinking a bad switch. Anyone else have this problem? I did do a search, but did not come up with this particular problem.

Thanks

Edit: I did find where someone else was having the same problem, but the solution was not posted. I have e-mailed the OP, but if anyone else has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them!:haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch that is mounted on the master cylinder is a common issue. Ford has updated this switch. The original allowed fluid to leak into it causing both a potential fire hazard as well as defective cruise control...

I would replace the switch and there is a project on it in the projects section.

Todd Z

FYI

The Motorcraft switches are a SW5942. Probably be between $80 and $90 depending on your local supplier. I've been putting off doing this same project, but 3000 mile round trip for vacation in 2 weeks is forcing my hand...

Ok, looks like we are talking about 2 different switches here. At first, the one I was thinking is bad is the one on the steering wheel.

However, now I'm wondering if the switch on the master cylinder(MC) is sticking at times, and not allowing the switch on the wheel to engage the cruise. That's why I get the quick flash of the cruise light when I push the wheel switch. The signal is getting through from the wheel switch, but is immediately told to shut off by the MC switch. Hence, the quick flash of the cruise light. The cruise disengages fine when you tap the brake pedal. That is now seeming to make more sense...

My ST was not in the recall of the MC switch, as I already had the black one.

Thoughts?

BTY: I'm in a limited internet access area right now, so if I don't respond real quick, that's why!:boohoo:

Chris,

The one on th Master Cylinder.

Ford used this same setup for many years on many different models. I had the exact same symptoms on our 2004 Freestar and that switch was the issue. Recall or not, I am placing my $$ on that switch.

You can test it by jumpering it. Raise the rear end of the ST on jackstands, get it up to to 45, and try to set the cruise. if it works, there is your answer. push the OFF button to disengage it. I wouldnt suggest trying this while driving.

Dave

Received a reply that the other person who had this problem replaced the steering wheel switch, and still has the problem. I'll be replacing the master cylinder switch first.

Edit: Looks like Dave and I posted about the same time. I think I'll just replace the master cylinder switch though.

The jack stands sounds a little dangerous, and the other way IS dangerous!:bwahaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris T, I had the EXACT same problem about two years ago. My cruise finally went out all together after about six months of the flickering light issue. I've been driving ever since without cruise. I have yet to fix it.

You guys rock! just did the repair. Took about 10 minutes. It works again!!!

Latest posts