Cruise Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Sport Trac and my cruise control has been acting up lately. Over the past few weeks I have been back and forth the camp a few times and I use the cruise control most of the way on I-49. Two seperate times I was trying to use the cruise control and it just would not work. When i pressed the "on" button and then pressed the "set" button, the light on the instrument cluster would just flash once and not stay on. When the light flashes i press the "set" button again and it just flashes once, but the cruise control would not engage. After about 20 minutes I tried it again and it worked perfectly. Well this happend again to me last night, but this time it didn't start working again. But, this morning when I got in the truck on the way to work this morning, I tried it and it worked perfectly like nothing ever happened. Any idea what is wrong? Loose connection maybe or a switch going bad? Thanks in advance.

I'd check the switch behind the brake pedal. I had a similar occurrence years ago with my Dakota and it was a loose connection at the pedal.

There was a recall on the cruise control switch. I'm not sure what years were affected but my 01 was..I got a letter and took it to the Ford dealership, was in and out in 10 mins.. I would look into it asap as the recall issue was that the switch would catch fire.. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the recall will chime in...

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the trip switch at the end of the mastercylinder. Since you have an '04 ST, probably not. I would suspect the switches on the steering. Also try tilting your steering wheel. There is a common problem with the gen1 trac having a short harness, in the column. The harness has been known to cause many electrical problems. There is a fix for it in projects...

Please post if you find out what the problem is... my 03 does the same thing. I asked my mechanic about it (by phone) he said he could look at it, but most likely it would have to go to to the Ford dealer. sounds expensive :( I really miss my cruise control but I don't know how much I am willing to spend to have it fixed.

Kristi

My 2003 Sport Trac was doing the same thing, the light on the cluster would just blink when you push cruise "on", then "set". I read on another Message board title on this same web site that the sensor on the master cylinder could be the problem, and that there was a recall on this part, but I also read that this is only if the sensor is red, and if it was black then you should be ok, well mine was black, so I checked all of my fuses, they were all good, so after reading this message board I moved the 2 cables coming out of the top of the throttle body around a little, and also unhooked and rehooked the connector just above the window washer tank on the right side of the engine compartment. Now it works again, not sure which of the 2 fixed it, and not sure how long it will stay fixed, but I will repost with any new info, hope this helps.:)

Latest posts