Cupping of Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelins are by far a better tire than the stock Goodyear Wranglers on some Tracs.

I wish now I would have swapped the tires on my wife's '05 Trac (the Michelins)

for my Goodyears when we traded hers in on the Mariner last summer!

I just wasn't thinkin'!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
My 05 oem Michelins are POS! I'll soon be changing them out (31k) only because of the road noise. They sound like grinders working on the pavement at any speed. Regular rotating, proper inflation and u/g suspension has not helped. Anyone else experiended this?

CanTrac,

No. The last two sets of Michelins I have had on both of my other vehicles have

been great. Sounds like you've done the maintenaince, maybe you just got a bad

set? It's possible...

SHOCKS, SHOCKS, SHOCKS, SHOCKS, SHOCKS, SHOCKS is the root cause of this, the inability to control the natural bounce of the tire after it is upset by a bump. The factory shocks are designed for the weight, dynamics, and spring rate (yes, tires have their own spring rate) of the factory tires. Most guys on here have had good luck w/ ranchos.... monroes and edelbrocks have been scorned... other front end wear will aggrivate this issue... JMHO

Again, we can all agree on one common point:

Replace the P.O.S. ( and no, in this case, it does not stand for Point Of Sale!) factory

shocks!

OK !!!

Just put the fronts on the back and do a burnout and make them flat again !!!!!!

Todd Z

TrackNBlack,

The only problem with that TSB is that most of the people with the cupping tires were in the early 2001-2002 Sport Trac's and they are not mentioned in the TSB, and there were no suspension changes until 2007......So ???

My original 2001 Job-1 Sport Trac came with Firestone tires that I replaced withing 2 weeks with Goodyear Wrangler RF/A's (Rotation Free, AquaTreads) They had a smooth ride, never needed rotation, and ran through water like they were on rails. The Sport Trac was a leased vehicle and I returned the vehicle back to Ford with just over 42K miles and purchased my 2003 Sport Trac.

The 2001 Sport Trac had the original shocks, never needed an alignment, and I only had the tires balanced every 5K-6K miles, for free with the Goodyear roadhazard insurance and lifetime balancing (Which Ford paid for as part of their recall of the Firestone Tires) When I turned the truck back into Ford the tires showl very little signs of wear and I would have easily gotten 60K-65K miles on them (they were guaranteed for 65K treadwear)

My Honday came with Michelins and I was not very pleased with them. Wet weather traction was OK for the first 10K miles and then they became as slippery as the Wranglers. They wore out prematurely even with numerous alignments and constant rotation. I found that front-wheel drive vehicles need far more frequent tire rotations than the usuaal 5K miles. 3K miles is more like it if you want your tires to last, so just do the rotation with your oil changes. I've had other front-wheel drive vehicles before and after the Honda, but the Honda was the worst for front tire wear, and the Honda dealer was the only place that could do a proper 4 wheel alignment.

Shocks can cause the cupping but in the case of the Sport Trac it already has weak shocks. But everyone is getting the same flimsy shocks and not everyone is getting cupping problems. It seems to effect Sport Tracs with the original Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires. That's why I think that tire is more suseptible to being damaged by minor collisions with pot holes, curbs or other road hazards that most people feel should not cause that much damage to the tire.

In most cases it may take 1000 miles or more before the cupping and bouncing become noticable. By then most people don't even remember hitting that little pot hole. They may have even hit that pot hole a dozen times on the way to work and only once did it hit just right and damage the core of the tire. Couple this with the fact that a larger number of people will used the Sport Trac off road hitting rocks logs and other objects that are part of the off-road experience but the tire is not capable of taking that kind of punishment.

I think my Goodyears hold up well because I don't venture off road with them and most of the roads in Texas are in pretty good shape.

....Rich

Todd, that really works... did that once with mine as soon as i noticed the cup starting... put them on back and 'machined' them round again!!!:lol:

I have a 2004 4x4 with original tires and almost 50k miles. Tires cupped before 10k and make a terrible racket. I rotate them periodically and it helps, but eventually they get bad again. Dealer said it was due to me driving on gravel roads. I've driven trucks on gravel roads all my life and never had this problem. I'll switch to new tires soon, and consider upgrading the shocks... I have plenty of tread left, but the noise is starting to get to me.

WHile changing oil on the wifes 02 S/T I noticed that the front tires are starting to cup. This is a REPEAT problem.

We bought the 02 new. The dealer had been doing all the maintenance on the vehicle up 35k. I had noticed that the front tires were cupping which the dealler said was "typical" and that the tires needed to be rotated more often than what they had been (B.S.)From about this time forward the front end began to make a "roaring" noise at about 40-45mph. In time as the cupping worsened (by rotating tires, both the front and rears cupped) the noise became louder and louder.

After viewing this site and at 55k on the S/T I installed 4ea Monroe Sensa-TRac shocks and 4 new Yokohama Geolandars.

No more noise and S/T rode and handled GREAT.

Had the tires rotated every 10k or so and watched for uneven wear.

Have 85k on the S/T and the cupping is starting to show up. Close examination showed that the rear had "mild" cupping on them. I had rotated them 5k miles ago.

Now what?????

Im going to replace the shocks (30k on them) and Im tempted to NOT rotate the tires. My line of thinking is why ruin both the front AND the rear tires by rotating them and letting all 4 get cupped, with only 30K on the tread theres alot of life left.

THe S/T drives straight and true so I dont think its an alignment issue.

Ideas????

Lester

I have Falken tires, and Reflex shocks, mine still cup... I just put the rears on the front, and vice versa to even them out, seems to be working, its only cupping the front tires...

It is a design flaw, which may be caused by or compounded by bad shocks. Whatever it is, I don't think it matters what type of tires you use. My Revos cupped after 20K on my second ST.

I have GoodYears on my Mazda3 and they are excellent tires. I have even wear on all four after 25K miles and these low-profile tires have taken a real beating on Polish roads.

[Broken External Image]:

My Goodyear Forteras were made in Canada.

The Yokohamas on my wife's car say "Made In U.S.A." on the sidewall.

Goodyear makes some good tires, but the Wrangler RT/S is not one of them.

Basically cupping is caused by two problems:

1. The OE shocks suck and are too soft.

2. Wranger RT/S's suck.

Latest posts