Cupping of Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Markey

Reaction score
My '05 Sport Trac developed uneven tire wear which I believe is called "cupping". The chopping sound made by the tires turning was maddening.

A dealer in Louisiana gave me a technical service bulletin, which, he said, called for my tires to be replaced and adjustments made to the truck to keep the problem from reoccurring.

The local dealer replaced the tires and the problem was gone.

I just discovered my brother's Sport Trac (2003 or '04) and a friend's similar truck have the same problem,. But the same dealer won't help them.

It seems like this is a design issue - perhaps an issue solved with the latest design of this truck.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone else out there had the same problem, and how or whether the problem was resolved.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleieve what you are referring to is Cupping not clipping...

famous among fords, just realized mine is doing the same...

looking into suspension adjustments that might help. Search "cupping" and Im sure you'll find a bunch of information on this site

Yes, cupping. That's it.

It's when one section of the tread wears lower than other sections, causing a rapping sound. It's really annoying.

I am looking for something official from Ford that would allow my brother to have his truck (now out of warranty) fixed. Mine does not do it any more (supposedly, adjustments were made), but I assume the problem will return when the tires wear down a bit.

My brother has been blown off by the local dealers and Ford corporate, but I was told there is a technical service bulletin on this issue. If so, does it cover out-of-warranty trucks?

Thanks.

Just to clarify, a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is simply a document outlining a common issue and how to fix it. It is NOT a recall. Most vehicles have tens to hundreds of TSBs, but few, if any, recalls.

How long ago did the dealer fix your '05? Did you buy it from them?

I believe cupping can happen to any tire on any vehicle if they're not rotated for a long time. Considering the age of the older STs, I can understand why the dealer is balking at fixing those.

I have a 05 as well. Yes, my tires were cupping noticeably after only 10,000 miles (visually) . Never thought about taking it back to the dealer for free replacement. Figured they'd put it on the Goodyear tire warranty and be done with it. Now, I'm having second thoughts, although, thanks to a recommendation from this site, I am rotating the fronts to the back and visa versa every 5K miles. That has at least resulted in them wearing evenly.

I'm just over 20K miles now and am waiting on the day that I can justify replacing them...

Dave;

You know Goodyear, good for a year ....

My experience has been most new vehicles with Goodyear tires just don't cut it. They wear very quickly. I'd rotate often till worn, then change to Michelin.

Yes Ken, I have heard tell. I'm not shooting for Michelins though. $ for $ comparison, I have have very good luck and pleasant rides with BFG Radial Long Trail TA's.

Can't wait for the day...

My truck came with Michelins and I never noticed any cupping but they were not half as good of tires as the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's I put on last year. The traction and handling is a whole lot better. I think Michelins are way over-rated. They are good tires but not great.

My original Wrangler RT/S's were cupping at the inner and outer tracks of the front tires even with scheduled allignments and rotations. At about 36K miles (?) I replaced them with Goodyear Forteras. I've got about 42K miles on my Trac now and the tires are doing it again. I had the fronts rotated to the back but the fronts are starting to cup too. I just had them alligned at the dealership not too long ago too.

FYI, I have Monroe reflexes and factory 16" wheels.

I had 12k miles on my '04 with uneven wear, cupping, and a loud thud-thud when driving. I showed the dealer service manager the TSB and he said:

"Nope, we aren't going to replace the tires and we aren't going to do any of that alignment stuff. We will simply rotate the tires on every-other oil change at your cost!"

It's part of the reason I traded in the ST...that and poor gas mileage. I'm told with new, better tires the problem is less severe (mine had the Goodyears).

So it seems Ford made an ST that would be great, once you drive it off the lot and spend another $1K to replace shocks and tires.

Bold Move!

TJR

TJR;

So you don't have an ST any longer?

Dave;

I've got BFG's on the Stang, Michelins on the ST and Toyota. I've sported a bunch of brands, but I keep returning to the Michelin's, even though I dislike the French.

I realize there's allot more to tires than just the name, but I tend to subscribe to "you get what you pay for" so I do some research and usually buy upper end tires. I don't want to trust our lives on poor stopping distances or blowouts.

edit: typos (can't type)

Ken...nope. Traded in my '04 a few months ago. It had 32K miles. I otherwise miss her dearly, but TCO (total cost of ownership) was too much for me at this time.

TJR

The factory tires are not that great and usually cupping of the tires indicates that you have susupension issues. If you are still running the factory shocks I would immediately get rid of them. There are a number of more suitable shocks that would improve the ride and help to prevent cupping. The tires will definitely have to be replaced and I would suggest anything other than the Goodyears that came from the factory.

Several commonly overlooked items that most often cause cupping are bad or weak shocks and tire damage.

The weak shocks cause excessive bouncing causing the tires to wear in a skip pattern.

I personally beleive that most cupping problems with the Sport Trac are related to tire damage caused by hitting pot holes and other road hazards. Striking a pot hole, curb or some object with the tire can cause damage to the tire belts and plies under the tread. The plies and belts is where the tread gets it's support and keeps the tire rolling true and level, especially in radial tires. Once the tire plies or belts has been compromised, the tire will start tow wear unevenly and you will start to get cupping and out-of-round bouncing which ruins the tire.

The Goodyear tires are cheaper, lower quality tires (as are most OEM tires regardless of who makes them). The cheaper tires are more prone to sustaining damage from road hazards, and perhaps the Goodyear or Wrangler model tire is weaker than many of the other brands.

I have used Goodyear tires on nearly all my vehicles for the past 20+ years and have always gotten good service from them. I must admit that the Wrangler RT/S is one of the worst Goodyear tire I have ever had, but I have not encounterd any cupping or abnormal tire wear. I have 30K miles on them and they tire wear appears about normal...Not great, but not bad either. My major gripe is their poor wet weather tractions (I had the tires siped to improve the wet weather tractions) and the overal ride quality is not great but they do run very smooth and relatively quiet on the freeways at 70-75+ MPH.

...Rich

Why is this? (O.E. Goodyears = crap)

I like to buy American, yeah, so shut up. I used to tell Dealers that if my ordered vehicle came in without Goodyears they had two choices, sell it to someone else or change them and deliver the vehicle to me.

Now I look for Michelins.

My Toyota came with "good for a year(s)". That's what they lasted. Junk. Rotated, balanced, the whole nine yards. Couldn't stop the uneven wear. Switched to Michelins and 20K, now at 45K, and they are perfect. Rotated once, original balance.

TJR; Toyota is my answer to high TCO.

Richard;

Really good info, you've taught me a few things.

Question; What is "siped" to improve wet weather traction?

I hear ya Ken about the Michelins...Definately satisfied with each purchase of a Michelin (for autos, never a truck) but...BFG's have always been a long lastin performer for me.

Again, I state...to each his own and for all he can afford...For me...it's BFG for our ST's....

Have a good evening and nice to see you on the board...

Here you go:

Issue: Tire Wear, Front

Model Year(s) Affected: 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

T.S.B. #: 051111

N.H.T.S.A. Item #: 10016814

Description: Some owners of 2005 model year Sport Tracs may complain of

abnormal front tire wear, vibration or "cupping". See T.S.B. for data and service

information.

Hope this helps...

TnB...;)

Still have original Michelin Cross Terrains on my '04 2wd. 61,xxx miles and at least 10K worth of tread left. They still grip wet roads like they were new. No cupping because I changed to good shocks at 2,500 miles.

Latest posts