Custom Enclosures

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
With the decision my wife and I are making on a new vehicle, we have finally decided to buy a Mercury Mariner. After 4 different sales persons at two different dealers talking us out of 4WD, we decided against it. Enough of that...

With this vehicle, I want to build Theresa a kick but stereo system. I want the system to run MP3's along with HD radio. MTX made a custom enclosure for the 2001 to 2004 Escape/Mariner. Unfortunatly, the 2007 interior is different then the older models. As of right now, MTX does not make one for the new interiors. The reason I want the MTX enclosure is that it installs without taking up any space in the sotrage area.

Anyone know of any companies that build enclosures that work the same way? I really want to go this route, or we may just have to go OEM. I don't really want to, but I don't want a box taking up cargo space.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
JL audio makes stealth boxes. Don't know if they make one for the Mariner, but you could search at www.jlaudio.com

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '06 Escape. I mounted a KSC-SW1 powered sub under my passenger seat. It makes enough bass for me but it won't rattle any windows.

The sub plus front components and a Pioneer deck made the best system I've ever had.

Also check out the link to escape-central, plenty of modified Escapes, Mariners and Tributes there.

It's still a little early I think for the 07 models to have custom enclosures, I'm sure if you wait a little bit someone will make something. Another company to check out is Q-Logic.

I would/could make a custom enclosure similar to any of the above, but there are 2 problems, first is that I need a test vehicle. Second it would usually be more expensive because everything I make is made custom, no molding of templates for fiberglassing to be used later to produce thousands of boxes.

I guess if push came to shove, I could get an OE boc and either build my own, or put a different sub in there.

Tom

Tom...good choice on the Mariner. We are very happy with our'01 Escape. The Mariner is very classy. Probaly what we replace the Escape with in '08...;)

You could check out the local audio places too. I know the ones around me do some awesome custom work, probably would cost a bundle though. I would bet that they would have some deals though considering it's wintertime and getting close to xmas.

could always take the older 2001-2004 Escape model and custom it with some fiberglass.

I thought about that. Not sure if it will work though. I will need to compare the two side by side.

Tom

I would go to the dealer and try out a Mariner with the premium sound system installed from the factory. I don't think you will be dissapointed with todays premium factory stuff. Of course it will cost you more on your financing than if you installed aftermarket but you eliminate all the hassles being discussed above.

Yeh I don't know anything about the HD Radio yet. I am assuming that stands for 'hi definition'. What is it supposed to be? CD quality sound from standard broadcast radio? Isn't satellite radio higher quality sound than terrestrial broadcast? I think I will do a Google search now so I will be better informed.