Custom Intake heat shield

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I bought a cone filter and MAF adapter off ebay and made my air intake a couple weeks ago. I used the stock stock intake tube. I am wanting to make a heat shiled and dont know what to use. Has anyone made their own? What do I need to use and how do I go about doing it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

I don't think a heat shield is needed, but you could make one out of your old intake box.

This is not a heat shield, but it does take air from the outside,It cost me less than ten dollars to make. The vinyl was cut to size and attached with velcro. It easily removed to check or clean the A.E.M. dry filter. It also keeps the air going into the intake with in 2 to 5 degrees,depending on the rpm of the engine.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A pretty simple one could be fabbed from aluminum or galvanized steel. You'd need it to be about 2 feet by 1 foot, bend it roughly in half with 90°-ish bend. Drill out mounting holes, air holes, and mountin between the MAF and filter. Getting the top profile might be a bit tricky though...

When I had my '01 I had my brtoher make me a shield for my K&N intake out of sheet metal. He works with sheet metal every day in the Heating/AC business. It went to the bottom and had a rubber seal up against the hood when it was shut. I may still have it around here. I'll take a look...