Customized Factory Hood... Need Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey, its me again ;)

Haha...

Anyways... I have a question that I think lots of people will know my answer, just I have never looked to closely into it....

I want to customize the factory hood, but I need a couple items of information first. The part of the hood that is higher than the rest ( Majority of the hood ) is that pretty close to the top of the engine? I dont like the way the stick-on-top scoops look, so I want to pay someone to recess the middle the hood down to create a scoop looking thing... Hard to explain... I want it to be a hoodscoop recessed into the hood, not on top of it pretty much... I hope people know what im talking about ;)

Is this possible? Is there enuff room to recess the middle of the hood 1-2" ?

Chris, I don't know your answer directly but you can determine your clearance yourself. On the the highest part of the engine place some compressible foam ( the kind that they use in packaging). Open the hood and estimate the clearance. Cut a piece of foam a little larger than the estimated clearance. Place the foam on the engine and slowly close the hood against the foam. When the hood is completely closed the foam should be crushed to the thickness of the clearance. Open the hood. Measure the thinnest part of the foam and you should have your minimum clearance measurement. Allow a little more clearance than the measurement because the foam is slightly resilient. That's the way I would do it.

Chris,

I dont know what route you are trying to take with the hood but there is a place here in edmonton called FX design and they claim they can make/customize or manufacture any hood for any application, probably just depends on the money you want to spend.

Dallas

I know that with my throttle body spacer on the truck, the 4.0 cover hit the hood under lament. I think you have only 1 inch or so clearance between the foam and the metal of the hood..

Todd Z

Latest posts