Cut Down 60% Seat... Underway - MORE PICS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, here we go.

I just went at it, I cant wait any longer.... this is actually turning out to be quite simple.

So here goes! I will make a formal tutorial when I have it 100%.

I started before I started to take pics, so in this picture all that is done is the seats are removed, this is 4 bolts, easy to do, and not hard to figure out.

Then you will see under the seat there is plastic hooks that hook onto the smaller diameter bars, simple to remove. Then there is a white fabric to hold your butt that is held on with the same plastic hooks, pretty tight so make sure you have some strong fingers ;) Once you do this, thats basically it for the bottom part of the seat, just unvelcro the flap on the back, and put it aside.

[Broken External Image]:

Just another picture of the same thing.

[Broken External Image]:

This is just the picture of the pin that will later go into the recieving part on the buckle mount... which will have to be cut in half to have the recieving hole for the original side, nad the new 40% side.

[Broken External Image]:

Now to the back, its a little more complex. You have to unfasten the 2 plastic back peices shown in this picture.... its fairly easy, once you look at it and see how it hooks on. you have to push it down, and apart at the same time. You can also see the staples that are just stapled into the plastic backing of the seat.

[Broken External Image]:

Just another pic of the same.

[Broken External Image]:

Just pull the fabric away from the plastic, they come out fairly easy...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Now you are going to start pulling off the fabric. It it attached to the foam backing with velcro, simply pull, and keep pulling up on the fabric... it will eventually get to the point that it all off, except around the headrest -- pics below.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Here is what I meant above, its all off, except the darn headrest part... how do you get this off? KEEP READING ;)

[Broken External Image]:

Now, you have to unscrew the 7 screws holding the plastic peice onto the frame of the seat... The foam on the front side is glued in spots to the frame, and to the plastic backing... just pull it apart, slowly, dont totally rip it off fast, or you might lose some foam?? Dont wanth that...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

As you can see here, there is a c-clip? or something, haha... remove these. You can now pull the headrest 100% out.... then just squeeze together the tapered end, and viola! the fabric should now be off the seat.... the headrest, and all. Put this aside.

[Broken External Image]:

Tapered part mentioned in pic above.

[Broken External Image]:

Youve now got the peiced removed, and the frame... this is what you're looking for. This total teardown took about 30 mins... for the first time ever, could take less if you know what you're doing.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

im

Last edited by a moderator:
And from the pics, All in the comfort of your living room!!!!... ;)

Looks good, Good luck with it, Don't rush, you will love the outcome..

Todd Z

Definitely don't rush. Your doing a lot of work. In the end, I am sure you want to be happy. There is no substitute when it comes to your satisfaction.

Best of luck to you...

I have 3 kids that I cram into the back of the ST. 9, 6 & 4. Like most youngsters they are angels and do not fight or pick at each other on extended trips.....

I am looking to mod the 40% seat to make it 60%. If someone could tell me how to fit more space in the back I would appreciate it.....

The dust is from a painting dropsheet i had on the seat when I had the sub sitting on it... It will be spotless after this is done.

I am looking to mod the 40% seat to make it 60%.

Sorry Fred, I'm still lost here. If you're making the stock 40% into a 60%, next to the stock 60% that's...(doing math in head)...120% of rear seating!

I think he was joking, and trying to say he needed more seating?

I think, lol.. I hope... I thought the same at first, I was like 60+60 = 120, and you cant fit 120 in a 100 ;) hahaha...

Oh, Chris, you and Fred are two different people! Man, I'm really lost. So Chris, what are you trying to do???

Well, Its the day after, and I discovered my dads friend has a welder and he offered to do this for me for nothing... a case of beer, almost nothing ;)

I did all the cutting, and he welded... here it is without paint applied...

Well I started at home by cutting off the side that was to be relocated (the side with the pin)... Basically I just cut it an inch or so away from the middle side, straight all the way down...

[Broken External Image]:

After I got over to my dads place, we proceeded to cut off the middle cut peice, and grinded it down smooth... measured the width of the bottom on the original 40% and cut the other side down to match this... I will think of some better comments, lol, im kinda pooped, long day and just got in... anyways remove the middle cut off peice on the relocated side.

[Broken External Image]:

You can see here where the welds are, and see where abouts you are going to have to cut each side... the bend on the lower part on each side is 16" wide to the outside on my seats... dont knwo if this will be the same for everyone.... I dont think you have to be EXACT with things, even tho I lucked out and its the exact same size at the original 40%.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Ill finish the comments tomorrow... but this is pretty much the welding stage of the game...

For the record, if I had a welder, this project has taken a total of 1hr to date....

I will now have the guy weld the buckle to the floor of the truck so that the pin on the one side can sit inside, and I am not going to attempt the upolstery myself, so I will take it to a professional, and then them sew up the modded seat, 1 side....

I would say, time frame for this mod, excluding the picture taking, and upholstry... is 1.5hrs, and whatever the cost of the upholstry costs, cant be more than 100-150 i dont think, maybe thats even too much, it isnt hard to do, I just dont have the machines to do it.

I give this project so far 3 wrenches ;) as its not hard, but needs special tools like a welder.

Im tired and not ma king sense, Ill edit this post tomorrow!

g'nite :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I contacted one place locally via email... about fixing up the upholstry on the seat... his reply is quite humourous, I THINK?? Remember this is Canadian Dollars so his quote in US is about 170-220US... Anyone know if this is out of line? I look at it and I see about 45mins to 1hr worth of work.

Hi Chris.

Just the seat portion, right? The back is ok?

If this is the case, you should plan for around $200 -$250. That's around 3-4 hours of time ($65/hr).

I would like to see how the edge is finished (the part you cut off) because we will have to secure the fabric to its underside.

We could handle this on Friday or after, let us know.

Thank you,

Dan Ulrich

Cutting Edge Upholstery, Ltd.

117, 3825 - 34 St NE.

Calgary, AB

T1Y 6Z8

tel: (403) 717-2888

fax: (403) 717-2887

What does everytone think? I think its about 2x what its worth....

I thought about it, but I dont see how that would work without just the same amount of modding or more... The frame for instance would be backwards. The headrest would be offset to the opposite side, the bottom of the frame would angle to the door, and not the center of the vehicle...

It has cost me $0 to do this so far, and if I cant find a price in the $50-$100 range, I will borrow a sewing machine and do it myself... Making the total cost $0.

I beleive what ive done here is the easiest, cheapest way to have an identical seat.