damn fan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan hook

Reaction score
i have an 07 st unlimited with 50k on it and no problems til the other day...97degrees out and in moderate traffic i pulled a uturn with traffic coming the other way but not that close...my better hollared at me so i rugged the 4.6...chirped the tires and down the roed we went...made a right hand turn to get to my destination and apon acceleration i heard my cooling fan clutch lock up and the fan roar like a mack truck....never heard it before....them the dash alarm sounded and i looked down ans the temp guage was climing up to hot...pulled over and checked all the obvious and no overheat symptems wre found...back in the car,,the guage was normal...drove 20 miles home and the fan came in and out the gauge was irratic and the ac. came and went...still no lose of fluid, no smell,,,and my infered gauge says 204 degrees ant the thermo.housing...being a mastertech i was anxtious to get to work the next day and scope the codes....no c.e.l. lite ever came on...low a behold there was a code 1256 logged under history codes...the code is for cyl. temp overheat....there is a default mode in this computer also...that may be the reason for the fan and gauge....i cleared the code and the problem is gone for a week now...don't know why or if it will return....would like to hear any input on this....thanks,,,, ivan the terrible...

Sounds like hitting the gas hard at that point heated the motor a little past a "normal" use and it locked the fan on to cool the engine and stored the code...

The controls on the fan are stupid, Sounds like just the wrong thing, at the wrong time, with the truck..

Todd Z

been 2 weeks now with all kinds of driving conditions and i has not appeared...the truck is still a jewel...may keep it now that this may be the last year for it....this one is almost payed off...may keep it for me and get my wife a new one...then we can have dueling s.t.'s...thanks all...ivan