Dan V Update ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Dan,

Any luck ??

Todd Z

Yep, I half-a$$ed it, lol.

Pulled the axles out and ground off a 32nd off each axle end, being careful not to get them hot by doing it little by little.

Like I said, it only took off 1/32 of an inch off each end, so it shouldn't have done anything to the integrity of the axle.

if it works, My only concern is that the axles moving in and out may hit that pin causing premature wear o the pin or damaging it......

I would yank the cover in about a year and have a look at that pin..

Todd Z

Except that's how it always is with an 8.8. There is always about 1/32 - 1/16 of play between the axle end and pin to allow for expansion with heat, you don't want the axles butted up tight against that pin. That's why if you take your wheel off you can grab the end of the axle and move it in and out ever so slightly.

The axles are made to hit the pin, without the pin in place the axles could move to far in and then the axle retaining clips could fly out.

I will re-post my rely here since I just found it..

Sounds like you bought a 8.8 carrier out of a mustang to me.. And they are different,

Todd,

If you read this remember the pin I was almost going to sell you at the meet? The Mustang carrier is smaller than the Explorer 8.8 carrier. And ntherefore has a smaller pin.

I compared the 2 pins and the holes in the carrier the pins slid through and everything was identical from one to the other.

Chad, Yes, But that pin was 1/2 the diameter..LOL.... This was a tiny clearance issue....

Glad it is fixed...

L1, Yeah I realized that now, it was late when I posted that..LOL

You happy now you proved me wrong on something ?? :eek::eek:

Todd Z

Todd Z,6/16/2009 12:37 MT

You happy now you proved me wrong on something ??

Todd Z

You are joking....right. I hope so...it's not my intention to ever try to prove someone wrong just for the sake of doing so.