Dancing 05 STA 2WD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartmouth

Reaction score
My 05 STA's ass end likes to dance around when I hit bumps at high speeds. It just turned 50g's. I just had it checked out at a reputable shop and everything is good.
What you all think? New shocks? If so what's best?

Definitely replace shocks at 50,000 miles if original. Loss of rear end control is a common complaint with the Gen 1 Trac. I experienced it going around a sweeping corner at highway speed and hitting a small bump. Felt like the tail end was in the other lane. Scary, and thought I was going to lose control. If the road was wet an almost a guaranteed crash. After lot's of research ended up replacing horrible OEM shocks and Goodyear Wranglers with Monroe Sensatracs (now OE Spectrum) and Michelin LTX truck tires. Almost solved, but not quite. Adding a larger rear sway bar completely solved the rear control problem and improved street handling immensely. Unfortunately the Explorer Express "X-Spec", Addco 633, and Hellwig 7648 rear sway bars are all discontinued unless you can find used or new old stock.

Highly recommend upgrading rear sway bar frame and end link bushings to polyurethane if yours are showing any signs of wear. Best $25 you can spend on a handling upgrade.

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5153

Last edited:
my 2004 used to shake its butt like a go-go dancer.. on dirt washboard roads it would shimmy back and forth, an adventure on every turn..
new shocks made a big difference, I got KYB front and rear. Absolute horrorshow installing the rears, the top fasteners are hidden away.

never thought of the sway bar bushings, will have to check those now..

OMG.... the 01-05 shocks were garbage from day 1..... Change them, change sway bar end links.... re drive.... Thank us later....

Latest posts