Dead Battery!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this has me stumped! Yesterday when got up to start my Trac, just it warm it up, the battery was dead. There was really no reason the I can see it should of been, so I got a jump & let it run for an hour or so then turned it off. Thru out the day I started it a couple of times just checking on it & all was fine. Welp, this morning it was dead again!!!!!!!!!! I boosted it off, took it to AutoZone to get the alternater & battery checked. They said the alt. was putting out 14v & the batt is fine. Any thoughts?:smile0005:

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your battery connections, remove clean and re-tighten.

Did they test the battery and the alt in the truck?

Battery....

Todd Z

Something isn't right, sure Texas might be cold, but cars still start in the great white north.. I'm not confident that it's the battery, but that is the easiest thing to replace for testing (and Todd said it is so he's more then likely right :smile0006:)

Dont smack modern starters with a hammer. You will break the permanent magnets glued in the housing. They dont use field windings anymore.

More than likely it is a bad battery, but it should also have been checked for a parasitic draw..this checks to see how much drain is being put on the battery when the vehicle is off. If you have a multimeter you can hook it up to the battery adn see what the voltage drops down to when you crank it, anything under 10 volts while cranking is bad.

I have often had a dead battery in the morning and in the afternoon the car would start fine. In the a.m. everything is cold and doesn't want to move. Later when things are warm life is better. First I would clean and tighten the battery connections at both ends.

Good luck Ed

Ok, I guess I have to tell on myself!! I just had a flash, I hadnt checked my headrest monitors, they hav a zipper flap on them so really cant tell they are there!! Welp the drivers side monitor was on. Man, I cant believe I let that get by me. So I turned it off and still checking on things and hoping (fingers crossed) that that was the problem. I thank EVERYONE on this site for all the help that has been given!!!!!!!!!!:smile0006:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts