Dealer issues's - UPDATE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gone in circles with the service Manager at my dealership regarding "Tire Cupping and feathering" on my 2005 ST with the P.o.S. Goodyear Wranglers. And regardless of still being under warrantee (car not tires) (car 36,000 miles, tires only 12,000) and no matter that I mentioned noise and vibration at 21,000 miles (now I'm at 29,000) nor the fact that Ford has issued 2- TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on this very issue dated back to 1/2005, they wouldn't budge.

Until, I finally talked to the owner of the dealership. After explaining how I felt about the TSB's and the entire issue in general. Now he has asked me to research what tires I would like and they will put those on and make this right.

My question to you all is... any suggestions (within reason) on tires. I am a city driver.

BTW - If anyone is interested, there is a whole Forum section over at Topix regarding the “tire cupping” issue.

The factory Michelins on my 2003 lasted 104,000 miles. They passed safety inspection at 97,000.

Go with the yokohama geolander ht/s. good control and quiet. Good wet control. Look them up on tire rack for the grading by other owners. We had them on the '01 escape and liked them. Now the '08 escape has michlin cross terains. They are noisy on the road...

Mine came with Michelins on it also. (2003) They were a nice tire and got alittle over 40K on them before needing replaced. No cupping or uneven tread wear. You may be able to get those without much "bickering" since Ford uses them along with the Crapyears.;)

Hard to go wrong with Michelin. I have Bridgestone Dueler Revos and like them, but they fail the "within reason" test (kind of spendy).

Deacon, I see you are in Orlando as well. Knowing the harsh FL climate, my experience may, or may not help. However, I had Michelins (cross terrains) on the ST and they sucked crap through a straw. Only had about 30K miles on them when they started to dry rot. The tread also wore down really fast. The cracks and dry rot caused a slow leak and I eventually got rid of them. I replaced with BFG's, but went with the more rugged look of the TA/KO's. I've had them on for over 40K miles and they don't have a speck of dry rot or cracks, and the tread has not even been worn down half way yet. Now, if all BFG's are of the same quality, then I'll second Caymen's suggestion of the Radial Long Trail T/A. Just my .02.

Also, out of curiousity, which dealership have you been in talks with? I went through the whole tire cupping issue with a few dealerships starting as early as 4500 miles. They beat around the bush with it until after 12,000 miles and said they couldn't do anything now becuase the tires were out of warranty. Convenient.... I gave up the battle because, at the time, it wasn't worth my effort. I shouldn't have to fight like that to just to get treated like an unvalued customer. I even took it too a GoodYear dealer, only to be told by the manager that the tires were ruined and needed replacement.

If you are a city driver then stay away from any type of tire that even remotely advertises off road performance, go with something like a Michelin cross terrain suv and don't look back, however if you don't fix the problem of why the tires are wearing the problem is still going to continue.

Cross Terrain tires came on my '01 when I got it and they made it past 50k before they needed replacement. Was pleased to see them on my '07 when I ordered it, but not at 32k, they needed replacing a little while ago. I just can't bear to do it with such low mileage on them. Cross Terrains were good on my gen1 Trac, however I think it is pretty universal on the '07 owners that the Cross Terrain is no good. I also had Dueler Revos on my '01 and they were a great tire, but I had a wheel bearing problem and had to replace some parts in the front end, and the problem damaged the front tires beyond repair, so I put on some Goodyear Fortera Silent Armors. Those tires were by far my favorite of the three I had on there. Quiet, great in the snow, and even good off road somewhat too...

I'll probably end up with Forteras again. Actually priced them at the dealer and they are cheaper there for the whole pkg than if I ordered them off Tire Rack.

The yokohama geolander ht/s are an excelent tire. their rating are right up there with the big name brands. Cost less$$. So the dealer may go for the exspense. Also if you still have the factory shocks. They are a big contributor to premature tire wear on the first gen trac.

Well the Dealer is Don Reid Ford in Maitland and it was not easy to get the right response. I had to talk with the Mr. Reid himself. I called them today to finalize when to bring the vehicle in and was told they had get the tires in. No prob..."We're putting the same Goodyear Wranglers on correct??"...NO....Go Michelin...."OK Sir, tomorrow morning". I had thought BFG but finaly decided to go with the Michelins.....I have and will always like BFG's and if I had to pay that is what I would have bought (more in my $$ range and good tires) so this was a hard decision. but since they're paying I'm going this route. They are also doing the 2 TSB's to try and alleviate the issue. May, with the money I'm not spending, look into better shocks.

Thank you for the replies.

Of course now I read about the '07 Michelin tire issue at the top of the threads. Maybe I will call them in the morning and change to BFG's after all. HMMMMM..????

Deacon, they are probably offering what they sell. The dealer close to me has only goodyears, michelin and continental on there racks.