Detailing the Trac is a pain...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
The Sport Trac is not an easy vehicle to detail...let me tell you that! I'm using Mother's clay-bar and an assortment of cleaner, polish, and wax that's supposed to be laid on in 3-phases. Between work and sunlight I've been hard-pressed to get work finished...and I've been at it since washing it in the morning, 4th of July. Aside from the hood and my A.R.E. tonneau, the Trac has very litttle flat and open spans which makes it very time consuming to apply wax, buff off, and repeat.

I'm sure at least some of you know what I'm going through, I just hope I can at least get close to finish by the time I roll out for the L.A. meet. I just know I'll be making good use of Mother's Back-to-Black after I've finally laid down the third coat. And I'm not even considering doing the interior at this point...

I must say though, the clay bar has made a believer out of me!

I hear your pain. I washed, clayed, and applied three coats of Zaino this past weekend, in addition to some Zaino spray sealant, tire shine, etc.

And I have a PC 7424 with Sonus pads, etc.

My complaint concerns the curves of the Trac. The lower body is a pain since it is easy to miss wax in shadows. The front of the bed is a magnet for particles that need to be removed with the clay bar. I could go on and on.

I envy those with the 07 Tracs. It looks good while removing some of pain in the ass curves. :D

I didn't think the Trac was any worse than any other truck I've owned. The worst was my old Windstar van... I even waxed the roof on that baby - what a pain in the arse that was.

Quit whinning.... git er done !!!!

Believe me I'm tryin! I haven't been this motivated and exhausted since Basic Training.

You let your trac get dirty??

I don't get the garage in the househould and I work early in the morning forcing me to drive off with the Trac still wet with morning dew. This attracts a lot of dust on the road, then when I park at work the gardner with his blower has his way. The only reason I went this far detailing is because I'll be off next week and my Trac will be covered overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, please don't take it to heart. I was only kidding because I'm anal about cleaning my trac. Ask anyone who was in Louisville.:D

Well I wouldn't say anal Gary........wait...yes I would.....j/k.

It made me feel guilty with mine sitting next to Gary's

Chet

No need to apologize Gary, I wasn't takin it the wrong way at all. I just knew exactly where you were coming from. I didn't mean to make my reply sound like I snapped.

Hey John

All of the hard work paid off because your ST was looking incredibly shiny at the meet today. You did a great job and your ST really stood out today. great job. thanks alot for attending the meet. hopefully you had some fun and will come to the next one. BTW, for the next meet you dont have to work so hard. We know how sharp your truck looks so you can take a breather and just show up, AS IS. thanks for coming brother

Mike aka LtMike70

I appreciate that Mike and I had a really good time. I'm going to finish detailing her tomorrow. The sides still need "phase-2" coat and then the whole Trac gets the final "phase-3" coat. After that the interior. You betcha I ain't gonna be doing this again for a long long time. I was way in over my head.

I'm glad I was still able to make it and meet everyone there. Thanks again.

#1.* Clay is not Dirt...(it is Ooh so smooth and silky!)...

#2. * Kill the Gardener...

#3. *Shampoo, Rinse, Repeat...( Oh, and Buff the Hell out of it, also!). :rolleyes:

Latest posts