Did I get a good deal or what?!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to the forum. I gotta tell ya, I'm lovin it. Anyways I just got my ST about a month ago and I love the stinkin thing. I was lookin on AutoTrader for one but couldnt find an '02 with anything less than 60,000 miles or $14,000. I accidentally stumbled upon an add that some lady posted in the local paper. Her husband was moving to China so she was selling his truck while he was away. She had no clue what it was worth but was askin 14,000 for it. So i thought I would go and check it out. Turns out it was a gorgeous black 4x4 with 26,000 miles! I knew I had found something but I wanted to see if I could work her. I told her I wasn't looking to spend more than 11K and I eventually talked her down to 12,200! Her husband came back in town the next week and as we were meeting to sign over the title he wasn't lookin too happy. He looked straight up at me and in a disgruntled, thick Chinese accent said "You get good deal on my truck...You take care my baby." I wanted to laugh but was able to keep it to a smirk. Anyways thats my lame story and I'm sorry if I wasted your time reading it but I'm pretty proud of myself for finding such a good deal. I almost feel guilty as if I stole it from him. I love the truck and i've found it to be a good investment. Its pretty sweet when you can buy a car that is worth more as a trade in than what you paid for it.

WELCOME and good luck with the truck !!!!!!!

That is a good deal, I know what I paid for my 04 and that was a good deal also...

Todd Z

I just purchased my first ST about three weeks ago. I found it while driving to a Ford dealership to test drive an '03. I was at a light and just happened to glance over and look at a GMC dealership and they had 2, can you beleive it, 2 ST. Almost identical, both navy blue and both under 40K. The only difference is that one was an 03 and one was an 04. Anyway, long story short, the sticker price was 17,900 on the '04 with 33K miles and I talked them down and ended up paying 15,300 for the vehicle. It was great.

That sounds like a great deal!

I bought my '01 ST 2WD with 49K last July. It was from a Ford dealer. On both Craigslist and Autotrader they advertised the truck for $12K. When I went to the dealer to test drive and buy, they showed me the sticker price (KBB printout was about $14,600) and didn't want to budge. Talk about bait-and-switch! So, I thought to myself "good thing I printed out the ad". When I showed the ad to the sales manager, he asked the salesman to verify the price on THEIR (the dealership's) website. Luckily, they had the advertised the same price on their website as well. I heard that the sales manager saw my credit report and thought that I should pay more! Sorry for the vent...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, at least she wasn't mad at him and sold it for $50 or so!

Who knows if it's true, but there's a story about a guy that saw an ad for a Mercedes for $50. He was intrigued, so he called and the lady that answered said it was no joke, the car was sitting outside. So he went over to look at it and saw a nearly new Mercedes sitting in the driveway. The lady who answered the door said yes, that's the car, and it's $50.

He just couldn't help himself, so he asked why she was selling such an expensive car for $50. She said "my husband left for Rio last week with his secretary, and he called and told me to sell the car and send him the money. So I'm selling the car and sending him $50.:lol:

Welcome and congrats on saving some money in the purchasing. All that money you saved will now go to mods.:D

I got mine for 21K (listed for 30K) new because I found my long lost cousin at the dealership. I actaully got a call from the dealerships owner about 6 months later asking how I was realated to the salesman. Luckily the guy gave me his card and I made up a story. (I saved his job) I found out later from my friend who set the sale up, that the dealership was getting heat from Ford for all the vehicles getting sole to so-called "Family" of the salespeople.;)

Congrats

Lucky.....the cheapest you will find in Colorado is about 10,000 dollars for a 2001 4x4 with more than 100k miles......crazy!!!!!

Welcome to the group. What year is it, 2002?. Thats a pretty good deal sounds like you had about the same luck I did. I knew I wanted an ST and couldn't find one around here at all so I was working auto trader hard for a good deal. I was just a couple days away from buying a plane ticket to fly down to VA and buy one from a dealer, an 03 with about 30000 miles and then I got a return message from a guy in MA. I had made him an offer I never thought he would except (it was still more than I really wanted to spend). He wanted to sell it quickly because he had too many vehicles and house improvements to complete so he agreed to sell me his 2004 4x4 XLT with about 7000 miles for 17,000. I thought that was a pretty good deal since the 03 in VA with 30,000 they wanted 16,500 for. This was last June. So I jumped at the chance and have been loving my ST ever since.

Sounds like a damn good deal...

Just got ours (its really the Wife's truck) 3 weeks ago. Its an 01 with 80000 miles. 4x4 Moon roof, leather, six disc bla bla bla...

An even trade for our 2001 Chev Venture WB that had 65000 on it.

Mama is happy she finally got a truck..................