Did Some Transmission Maintenance This Weekend

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I changed the tranny filter/fluid, installed a drain plug, and performed the EPC adjustment on Saturday using the projects published on this site. Thanks to Shawn Stonbraker for these easy to follow projects.:cool:

I only had one minor snag: I torqued the drain plug nuts too tight, and cracked one of the plastic bushing, so the fluid started to leak. D'oh!:angry:

It was easily fixed, just ran to Advance Auto and bought some new bushings yesterday morning. Oh, and another five quarts of Merc V, since I had to once again drop the tranny pan to replace the bushing.

But hey, looking on the bright side, I've now got practically all brand new fluid in my tranny, because in the last two days, I've drained and added four new quarts twice!:D

I also did notice an improvement in shifting after the EPC adjustment .

Last edited by a moderator:
I did just the oposite, I dont think mine is tight enough. Nothing is leaking but the nut seems a bit less tight then I want it to be. I also found a better way ti do the whole project as well. I took a drill and put the whole in the pan before starting so it would not make a huge mess.

Did you adjust the ecu in the tranny like recommended? I did, but did not notice a difference.

sean, you've got bigger cajones than I do. I thought of doing the same thing. Drill the hole and let drain before I drop the pan but not knowing if anything important would also recieve the drill bit inside kept me from doing it.:lol:

Also sean, did you have any problems shifting before you adjusted the EPC? Mine was being very lazy shifting gears. It would take alittle longer before it would shift up or down. It would also shift slow to get to the next gear. It wasn't slipping per-say but just taking it's sweet old time. After the adjustment everything was crisp.;)

When I started the job this weekend, I too debated drilling the hole, but decided to err on the side of caution and wait til the pan was dropped. I was also afraid of hitting something inside the tranny.

My tranny was shifting "lazily" also, and now seems much more crisp, like stonemiser described.

Thanks again for the great projects, stonemiser!:D

As I've said before. I'm just glad to help people out with something that they can do themselves, but may think it's over thier head. You're welcome TrainTrac.;)

Jeremiah, they are in the project section. You can do the tranny filter change, put in a drain plug, and do the EPC adjustment all at the same time. All three projects are there.;)