Diff info needed 2005 St xlt 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Anybody ever swap out their rear non locking stock diff for an oem traction loc unit? I would like to know if it is a direct swap. I know it is a complete assemble job- axle and all.I'm told I can't just replace gears..

Also- any problems? My goal is winter and wet road traction. My stock open 3:73 ain't makin' it, even w/ decent tread. Annoying:angry:slippin' and a slidin' weather is coming up in the NE! thanx!:D

Just put a powertrax locker in it. It will be cheaper and easier. Unless you have a pick and pull junkyard near you. If so look for Explorers with 2 tags bolted to the rear diff.

I have been considering thepowertax or aussie. Talked with a freind that is heavy into building race and performance ford cars and trucks. He recomended getting the ford racing LS or traction lok for the street. Especialy with no more HP and TQ or tracs produced. His claim was smoother action and quieter. He pointed me to a freind of his that recently opened a speed shop, to use his name and get a good price, parts and labor. Another plus is the guy just got a dyno and does sct tuning. 2miles from my house.:D

I checked the Aussie locker website. Their# XD48831 for 1991-2005 Explorers fits a ST, I guess. Has anyone installed this on their ST? How is it on the highway? Aussie says it is far superior to traction lok. The price seems good $259. Anybody find it cheaper? I'll check ebay also.

Jim

I have the same type of locker in my ST. Love it!!!! Nuff said. The Aussie is the same as the Power Trax but Aussie only makes them for the open diff. Installation is super simple, plan on an hour.

Chad-How is it on the highway and in dry weather. Is it

Noisy?

Any negative issues? A guy on an Explorer forum waited 2 mos after ordering to get del.

It is good every where. No negative issues. Well except in the rain or snow if you get on the gas real hard it will go sideways.

Chad

You can install a locker in an hr?

get the trac on stands, remove the tires, disco the calipers, remove the diff cover, pull the axels, remove the spyder gears, install the unit, re-install the axels, go thru the test proceedure as per Powertrax, re-install the calipers and tires.

re-install the diff cover, fill the diff, get the trac off the stands.

Is an easy install but far more than one hr.

Yep!!

My ST has drum brakes, so I did not need to remove the tires, and I use air tools. Plus I know what I am doing.

But thanks for questioning my ability.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my Aussie installed in my 01 for a little over a week now ans I love it. No real hwy issues unless making a sharp turn (u-turn types) and off-road traction is much inproved.

Doug

Add exhaust and the chatter in turns is not heard...LOL

I think Paul H and I did his rear axle seals in about 2-3 hours so I can see the locker install taking about 1 hour....

I would go with the Aussie easier and the best way..

Todd Z

Latest posts