Disconnecting fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I decided to change my fuel filter on my 04 (different from the one in project section) this morning and 30 minutes into it I got hung up on getting the lines disconnected. It's just not happening. I'm using a small, plastic 3/8" disconnecting tool and pushing it into the sleeve with all my index finger's and thumb's might and it won't budge. I just uploaded a pic for visualization's sake but for some reason I can't access my library (or any other's). I'm open to suggestions!

edit: okay, here's the pic:

[Broken External Image]:

I'm also taking lots of pictures so I can submit a project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the plastic tool and place it in the trash can. Replace the plastic tools with metal ones.

Tom

I can hear the retaining clip in the fuel sleeve clicking so the plastic removal ring may be doing its job. But I'm not sure and I don't want to excert too much force prying things. It's noon time and I've spent too much time trying to do this. Will give it a shot another day, but for now I must move on to other chores.

What happens is the plastic one catches the inside lock, makes the click noise, and the plastic is squeezed by the pressure of the lock and becomes a useless tool.....

KD makes the metal one, IT is cheep too......

Todd Z

Perhaps the tool is made of plastic so that it can't create a spark which would ignite the fuel vapors.

Perhaps the tool is made out of plastic because it is cheaper to make, though it doesn't work. I got the metal ones and they work like a charm.

Tom

Okay, I'll go back to PepBoys the umpteenth time and get a metal one. At least I know I need a 3/8" fitment. Thank you gents.

Better yet take it into a shop and let them deal with it. The Ford filter disconnect sucks. As my mechanic brother-in-law says, "about 25% of them come off easy, 25% of then come off with just a little difficulty, and the other 50% will cause you to use really bad language and throw things". And that's from a guy thats changed out hundreds of them.

What I find odd about folks having trouble with the plastic tool, is that I have used the plastic ones for years on fords. Never had any trouble at all..Dont need a filter on my '04 yet. Why would the Trac be different, that the plastic one, wont work ??

Eddie, For the skilled mechanic, the plastic ones work fine, But the average do it your self the plastic ones can be a pain if you don't know what your doing, or haven't done it a lot...

Todd Z

Flip,

Insert the tool, push the tool towards the fitting. Push the fitting towards the filter. push the tool back into the fitting harder. Remove the fitting. There is a trick to it. Once you learn it, you will feel stupid for not getting it sooner.

I changed a filter on a buddies import. (I won't say the brand because if I do I will be blamed for being predijuced towards that other brand, plus they do no wrong.) The fuel lines are held to the filter via banjo bolts. Trying to remove the filter, I break a bolt off. Trying to get the other line off, I break a fuel line. It was a saturday evening and had to wait until monday to take it in. IIRC, cost was areound $400.00 for the line and labor. Dealer said it is very common and I am lucky we only broke the cheper line.

Anyone tell me of a better design?

Tom

Well, a couple of the folks over at FlatRateTech.com tell me that I don't even need to use a tool for the rear connection. They noticed the green clip and told me to push the line towards the filter until it 'clicks' and then pull it out. I will need to use the removal ring on the other end though.

[Broken External Image]:

Remember now, mine's an 04 and the filter and lines are different from earlier models. Gavin, does your 03 have a single in, single out fitler?