DIY Subwoofer Enclosure for Gen II ST!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the threads 100th post btw!

So my 07 JBL subs have a 5-1/16" mounting depth and an excursion of 1/2" in a sealed enclosure.

They require 1ft^3 of airspace each for a sealed enclosure. I think the boxes that came from my F150 were slightly smaller than 1ft^3.

Since I removed the plastic rear panel I believe I have enough room. I'll leave the calculations to my installer.

If I can get 2ft^3 net I'm going to go with my two 1202D subs and eventually just upgrade the amp. That will significatnly boost the bass. I only had a 300.1 feed the subs in the F150 so if I upgrade to double that in a 600.1 it should increase the performance a ton. These subs can handle a lot more power than I was feeding them.

Think there is 2ft^3 back that guys lol?

i dont think there is, if you think the gen1s have more room, you could maybe sqeeze 1.6 cu ft behind the seats of a gen one, by my measurements, someone chime in if im wrong

My 1202D subs fit perfectly with the F150 boxes. The bottom of the plastic rear panel sticks out from the actual wall about 3 inches so by removing that I gained a ton of space.

The center of the back wall is pushed into the cab more than the sides so to get the most airspace possible I decided to go with two seperate sealed enclosures. They will be 7 inches deep (current are 8" deep). They will be taller, right to the very bottom of the rear windshield. With two seperate enclosures, one on each side of the rear wall, I'll gain a decent amount of space to mount at least the mono amp between them.

I was originally thinking that doing one chambered enclosure with the two subs would net me the most space behind the seat. I thought it would be the same but I would gain at least 3/4" but it turns out, after I did some figures, I lose to much airspace with the way the center portion of the rear wall is designed.

I have no freakin clue where to mount the front stage amp though. I can't fit it under the rear seats. I can't fit it under either front seat. I think I will mount it behind the mono amp seperated by some MDF and I will install a couple PC fans to help keep things cool with the 4 channel amp.

This will probably go in next week. I started some "pencil & paper tech drawings of the boxes on Saturday. Once I get my basic idea down I can submit what I'm thinking to my installer and he can fine tune everything.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the front stage. I think I will just have the amp installed and wired to the factory speakers until I figure out what I want to do for a front stage. The JL Audio XR series seems pretty good, as does the Hertz comp set. The problem is power. I only have a JBL CS60.4 amp so I'm limited on the amount of energy to power the comp set.

This is probably the last time I will ever screw with putting a high end audio system in a vehicle. By the time I do the next vehicle I will probably have kids!

i have my mca2004 which is only 55x4 hooked up to four 5x7 memphis combo's (tweeter mounted to the speaker) and they honestly sound great up until about the point were you couldnt listen to it anymore because your hearing would go out. i was rather surprised by them actually. 60x4 should be adequate in my opinion if the amp is a good amp and is really pushing all the wattage is says it will. not sure how the difference between components and combos will change things but i dont think it should be any different

I don't think so. I checked for pics but didn't find any. He showed it to me at the louisville meet in '04. C. Wells did it with an older image dynamics 12". Check his library maybe you'll find a pic, I ddin't check real well, but nothing stood out.

If I recall, it was a FG enclosure, which he covered with either vinyl or leather (probably vinyl). The sub had a mounting depth of about 5"(again I think). It was an older model that even in '04 was no longer made.

Hey Clay,

I'll get you pics when I do my install.

I can't speak for the gen1 but I actually can fit two JBL GTO1202D behind the seat of my truck. Those are 12" subs. Min optimal sealed airspace is .85ft^3 and the prefered optimum sealed is 1ft^3. It looks like I'll have enough airspace to hit damn close to 1ft^3 for each sealed enclosure.

The problem I will have now is that I'm limited on space for everything else. The 300.1 Mono amp should be a perfect fit between the two subs but I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the four channel amp.

I'll also have to buy a grill for both subs in order to save them from damage when the seats are in the "up" position.

Latest posts