Do I still need to replace cruise switch with recall??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Barker

Reaction score
Well I got my recall notice for the cruise controll switch problem. Ford said they are installing a fuse inline to the cruise switch. My ST has the red top switch for the cruise pressure switch right now! Some readers suggested to get the kit to put on the black switch and adapter harness. I had already bought the kit, but I never installed it. Do I still need to replace the red top switch with the black one and use the switch adapter , or does this new fuse recall take care of all the cruise switch/ fire issues.

Thanks

The new fuse takes care of the issue, But IF you don't have ford repair it and your truck catches fire, THEY are not liable for any thing since you got the re call notice.

Todd Z

The way I see it, the new fused wiring harness only prevents your truck from spontaneously cumbusting. The red switch can still fail due to a poor design - it just won't start a fire with the new fuse.

If you already have the replacement black switch, I'd replace the old switch and forget the recall. It takes about 15 minutes to install. How much time will it take to drive over to the Ford Service Center, and wait for someone to install the new harness? More than 15 minutes, I'm sure.

It probably IS only a 15 minute job, but the time waiting for them to actually start on it after you arrive usually bumps to a half hour or more. It least that is how it seemed to me today when I took my Trac in for the fuse harness.

One of the points I'm trying to make is, the recall solution (installing a fused wiring harness) is only a band-aid fix. It doesn't solve the underlying problem - which is a faulty, poorly designed Speed Control Deactivation Switch. The fused harness only prevents a fire after the switch fails. Am I wrong?

EricP,

Yes. IF the switch fails and shorts out, the fuse will blow removing power from the switch.

Lets not blow this situation out of context. There has not been that many fires compared to the number of switches produced.

Honestly, I am not worried.

Tom

That's true. I'm just trying to keep 03cobra from going to a lot of trouble to do the second best repair option.

The main problem with the switch is not so much its design, but it is a non fused always hot circuit. Engine off or engine on, the switch had 12 volts going to it without a fuse.

Tom

Nick..Disconnect neg. battery cable and turn on the headlights to burn off resiual current. You should be good to go after 10 minutes..

Caymen,

The main problem with the switch IS its design. The fact that it's also non-fused turns it into a fire hazard. But your point is also valid. Even with the good switch, the circuit is always hot.

I think I'll take advantage of the recall, and get the fused wiring harness to go along with the redesigned deactivation switch I already installed.

Thanks for enlightening me. ;)

I had the recall done today! I called to see if the parts were in and the service manager told me they were in and to just drive by and they would install it. After checking in at the service department I headed for the customer waiting area. After I poured a cup of coffee and started reading a magazine, the advisor came and told me it was ready! About 15 min from the time I checked in! A big thanks to them!

I think I will keep the new switch I have and install it shortly!

Thanks to all your replys!

Kelly

Thanks 4 all the input guys but the #% thing just started working all by itself again. This was after I took it to the dealer of course who said there was nothing wrong as it worked fine for them also.

Latest posts