Do you use octane booster?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jbcCr2ll3c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2jbcCr2ll3c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very interesting...

Tom

I wounder if the computer for that motor can not adjust the fuel mix and thats the power loss....

Just like regular cars today and that junk Ethonol.......

I have felt these work in older stubborn cars with pinging and other issues.....

Maybe a well tuned, properly maintained engine just does not benefit from them...

Todd Z

In the pre EFI days, some people added small quantities of acetone to their fuel tanks.

Did it work? Don't know, never tried. Can't imagine the effect it would have on the plastic fuel components. Tried it, (illegally) on my 2 stroke Merc racing outboard and destroyed the reed valves in minutes. Very expensive lesson. First, and last time I "bent" the rules. 100/130 Avgas was winning races without "tipping the can".

I fill my ST at the local marina whenever possible. No E10 additives or fuel tax surcharges amounts to HUGE savings. (I'm sure the state would NOT approve) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Store bought boosters are bunk, as is acetone, acetone is hygroscopic, it attracts water.

You want to raise octane, use Toulene.

But in todays cars raising octane will get you nothing.

But in todays cars raising octane will get you nothing.

...unless the car is designed for it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDHwCWdrtdg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dDHwCWdrtdg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tom

I used 1 tank full of gasoline with MOROSO octane booster in my 1969 BOSS 302 with 12:1 pistons back in the 80's. I could tell when it made it to the engine. It was really twitchy and made me a little nervous (I'm a nervous type anyway...LOL). After that tank, I went back to the 50/50 mix of high octane aviation gas and Shell Super unleaded. It ran darn good on that. I never mixed up any boosted fuel again. Back in the 80's, I couldn't afford to try to rebuild the BOSS 302 motor a second time. I wasn't sure where to get racing fuel. I wasn't a real gearhead

07 ST:D

Gary G- In my F-1 boat racing days we ran green AvGas in our factory Mercs with 25:1 oil. (23 GPH)

Filled my Boss 429 once using straight 100/130. Swear it became a new "Pony". Wicked mean, and loved the smell too.

Great analysis. Scientific method, lab testing for any of these products is the only way to get reliable data on product usefullness.

I have used fuel treatments such as Red Line SI in my gas vehicles more geared for higher detergency and lubricity. I also use diesel fuel treatment for my diesel engines with Power Service Silver & White, Red Line 85 etc. With diesel fuel treatment I have noticed cleaner exhaust less smoke under full throttle and slightly more pep and slightly higher fuel mileage.

In very cold climates fuel treatment-anti-gelling, heaters are a must.

The bigger problem nation wide is the use of regional gas due to EPA pollution nonsense.

Todd hit the nail on the head with Ethanol that kill gas mileage and performance that cost us consumers more money.

John

You buy acetone in plastic bottles.

It is not a plastic as in some things are bottled. It is a special stuff. I believe called, Nalgene..very resistant to many chemicals. Acetone used to come in glass before that.

There isn't one thing called plastic, it's a family of materials. They all have different resistance to chemicals.

+1 Eddie and David. (dreman) I didn't want to sound like a KIA. (Know-it-all)

Couldn't have said it better, guys. Thanks.