Door Ajar/overhead light on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Lee

Reaction score
My door ajar light and overhead console light are lite and do not go out when driving or the car turned off...Had to pull fuse 26....this has happend three times over the last six months..

Any help or thoughts on this ??

Thank you!!

Check the door switch pins. They are black pins on the inside of each door frame. They may be shot, or need adjusting (if even possible). They are a simple post-type switch that is normally open (open causes the light to go on), and when you close the door, the pin gets pushed in and the lights go off.

Try opening one door at a time and pushing them all the way in by hand....one of them is shot or in need of adjustment, and pushing them hard by hand may force them to close.

EDIT: Read ToddZ below...I assumed (wrongly) that there were pins. He said the switches are integrated into the locks (latches), so look there.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look for the pins...but I thought I did previously and couldn't fine any pins of any sort..so I thought there must be some computer contrlrd sensors for the doors. When I pulled fuse 26..and re installed it....the problem when away for several months....

I'll check the for the pins/push relays again.....its weird....

thank you!!

Before I got my Fusion, I had an 02 Explorer and it did the same thing. I could not figure out what it was so I took it to the dealer and I was told to that the door latch was sticking and to spray some WD-40 in the door. Thats what it was, it never done it again.

The ST door switch is part of the door lock, You have to spray wd or a silicone lube IN the door lock, Not the key hole, but the part on the door it self...

Then open and close the door a couple of times, and do all 4 it may not be the drivers side..

Todd Z

I sprayed all the door latch mechanisms...door adjar light still on....any help would be appreciated...I looked but could not see any sensors or switches in the door latch assembly.

All help welcomed!!

LeeC