Doorpad Code ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never looked but someone said that it is behind the glove box. Do a search on this site, there should be more help there.

God bless Es

<----------------------- Projects section..... See link below !!

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my thoughts...unless you're comfortable/experienced messing with an airbag.....this will save you some $$$ but, if not, I'd shop around and see what a FORD dealer charges to look it up!

Ford here in Sumter charges 38.95... basicly 1/2 hour labor. All they do is hook up their computer, pull the code and give it to ya.... It takes 5 minutes of their tech time and work bay.

7 minutes is all you'll need. Use a plastic spacula to lift up the defroster vent at the windshield on the dashboard. Pop up the dash board defroster vent on the left side and look thru windshield with a strong flashlite and you will see the white box about the size of 2 cigarette packs with the 5 digit code number just a little larger print than the other print.

Just my thoughts...unless you're comfortable/experienced messing with an airbag

I followed the project on my 02 to pull the airbag, and it was easy enough. It was also my first time doing anything with an airbag. I didn't even think about the defroster vent method until after the airbag method. If you can see it, @ 7 minutes it'll certainly be far faster than the airbag method.

(As the airbag is supposed to sit for 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery, prior to extraction, iirc)

The Project section link that ToddZ posted is a great way to get the code, but the method where you lift the defrost vent cover is far easier, faster, and requires absolutely no mechanical skills what-so-ever.

You will need a flat screwdriver, and likely need a flashlight.

Gently pry up the defrost vent cover using a flat screwdriver, work it up from one end to the other slowly being carful not to damage the clips. Once you've removed the vent cover, exit the Trac, and stand on the step bars (you may need a higher platform if you're vertically challenged), lean over the windshield, and shine your flashlight into the area of the dash that the vent cover was located... You'll find a small silver box (or white box) with a few numbered labels on it - the door code is the 5 digit number that is printed in larger font (you will likely have to contort yourself into some whacky positions to get your eyes on the code).

Once you've seen the code, try it out a couple of times - if you bought the Trac used, you may want to refer to the owners manual to read up on how to clear the owner-specific door codes (potentially installed by the previous owner), and instal your own code. It's important to note that you cannot delete the factory installed code that is on the control module.

Sorry about the novel - but I hope it of some assistance.

Get a wrench next to your name !!! Some one do the project !!!!

Todd Z

Todd, I did a little tutorial for someone a while back. I just emailed it to you, might help someone until we get a better project submitted.

As soon as you input a personal code, the old personal code is automatically deleted.

I thought I read in the manual, more than 1 personal code can programed. maybe wrong..

To clear the personal codes. Disconect neg battery cable 5 to 10 min. The factory code is permanent, but. Can be changed by the dealer.

I disconnected the battery for at least 30 minutes on the Throttle Body install, and my personal code is still there.

It also survived a battery dying last winter.

Though I do remember reading something about more than one personal code, but I'm unsure as well.

EDIT: BTW, it seems that on the 1999 Crown Victoria the code is on a sticker attached to the trunk lid hinge. Why couldn't ours have been convenient like that...put it in the back passenger-side compartment or something? Oh well, taking out the airbag was kinda fun.

Nope............ All Gen 1 Job 2 and later Security modules are behind the passenger air bag and the code is printed on a label on top of it.

3d539c226866d5925d7bdf00a3195cf7.jpg