Drive train Vibration on F-150

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Nolte

Reaction score
I have a 97 F-150 4x2 with a 4.6l V6 and the 5speed manual trans as a second truck. I have developed a vibration in the drive train that I have not been able to isolate. I have replaced the tires , had the balance chaecked and cleaned the rims of any foriegn material that might affect balance. I have added a hose clamp to my drive shaft and rotated it a 1/4" at a time to verify drive shaft balance. The drive shaft is a steeel unit not the Aluminium one. We don't have a Dealership in town to take it too for further diagnostics. Has anyone else had a similar vibration?:wacko::(

You may also try asking at this link (see below). It is the sister of this web site, dedicated to F-150s. A lot of those folks are former ST owners, so they visit here often. I am sure someone on either this board or the F-150 board will have an answer for you.

Kirk...When did it seem to start? Did you hit a pothole or road debris, etc...

Also a bad shock or shocks may let the wheel oscillate or vibrate as the worn shocks

cannot keep the tires firmly planted on the road. Some more specifics might help

us diagnose this problem...

I had a similar problem on a '57 ford. Turned out to be driveshaft u-joints. Had 'em replaced. Simple operation. Made a world of difference.............Doug

Thanks Guys

I did not notice it from a single instance, but I have noticed it get worse over time. I had the u-joints replaced last summer and the shocks look okay no fluid leaking from either, this may be my next step.

Steel wheel bent?

Do you have any foreign matter between the wheels and the drums/rotors preventing the wheels from being properly mounted?

Tire out of round? (get it balanced on one of those fancy machines that also run the tire under a load against a idler wheel).

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This may sound wierd but I changed the Spark Plugs last night and the evibration has deminished a noticable amount. It's still there but not as strong. The plugs were original ( I think ) at 90K. There was no vissable electrode on 5 of the 6. How this truck still ran is beyond me. I bought it last summer with 84k on it and hadn't thought about doing a tune up as the unit ran okay. Thanks again for your suggesstions.:)

Latest posts