Drivers door lock problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well when it rains it pours, but I knew about this for a while. For a while, my drivers side door would not lock properly. IT would not go down whether power locks or by pushing it, unless I pulled on the outside handle while pushing it sometimes, lol.

So today, I set out to fix that as I have been putting mad hours and money into my truck, and I open up the panel, find a loose latch from the outside key lock, and reconfigure everything to where it looks like its working right, and the lock goes up and down and works great. Except it doesnt actually lock, lol. I "lock" it and then pull the outside door handle and the lock pops up, and door opens. Im guessing a bad lock assembly form the year of forcing it and beating on it, but figured I would check with others first. I read about the rivet, but the only rivet on my door is not near the lock assembly and looks good. Any input or suggestions, Im all ears.

Bill

More than likely a faulty door actuator.

Need to replace my front passenger side.

Kind of a PITA. I had the door fly open going around a right hairpin turn, at moderate speed.

(Nobody riding shotgun, thank goodness)

SEATBELTS ALWAYS. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
when you say actuator, you mean the actual locking mechanism or the power locks actuator? Because even when I manually lock it, it still doesnt actually lock.

Bill- Many posts on this board regarding the door actuator.

Have not replaced one yet, and my Ford Workshop Manual is at home.

Maybe one of our "gurus" can chime in. (Todd Z, Steve M, Eddie, etc.)

Guys?:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a common problem of the bolt that holds the actuator shearing off.

It is not a bad fix if this is the problem. Just pull the silver bracket out, drill or tap out the rivet and add a bolt to remount.

I don't know if this is your issue, but I have seen it several times.